world

Hoosiers close to threats

Former Indiana Rep., faculty member respond to 'feel' in Washington

Since the closing of the House side of the Capitol Wednesday, a dark cloud has descended upon the mood in Washington, D.C. \nA city where Americans are trying to mend from Sept. 11 is now consumed with the ever-present threat of more terror. Tension, stress, and apprehension of "what's next?" are governing factors in everyday moods and thoughts.\nNewly erected chain-link fencing surrounds the Capitol now. It is a necessary precaution, but nonetheless has dealt a definitive blow to the mood and moral of Washingtonians, Hoosiers and Americans alike.\nFormer U.S. Representative from Indiana, Lee Hamilton said the everyday reminders of the Sept. 11 tragedy are forever present. \n"Every day I drive by the Pentagon, and every day I am reminded of the loss of life and horror that can happen all too close to home," Hamilton said. \nHamilton, who now serves as director of the Woodrow Wilson International Center in Washington, D.C. and as director of IU's Center on Congress, said 100 percent security doesn't exist. \n"Americans are obviously not as secure as they used to be," Hamilton said. "To close the Capitol is a depressing symbol of what can happen to even the strongest of nations."\nThroughout the course of American history, the Capitol building has been a symbolic representation of freedom and representation, Hamilton said. \nAs a delegate from southern Indiana, Hamilton was known for his constant availability to his constituents. \n"I cannot help but feel that the impact of all of this will be to limit the access to the Capitol," Hamilton said. \nNonetheless, he continues to support the actions of President George W. Bush and the administration.\n"I support the military action that has been taken," Hamilton said. "But we must also look to the development of economic and diplomatic sanctions as well."\nMark Lame is IU's resident faculty member in Washington, D.C. for the Washington Leadership Program through the School of Public and Environmental Affairs. Currently in D.C., he is in charge of 35 IU students who went to participate in a leadership program involving students with various aspects of the government. \nLame describes the mood of the nation's capitol as grim and determined. \n"People just seem to be going about their business," Lame said. "They all seem to be apprehensive and worried, and it's to be expected."\nLame said he is taking this opportunity to revamp the moral of his students while also having them learn how government works in times of crisis.\nLame and the students are housed in a common apartment complex that is located four miles south of the Pentagon, so the constant thought of possible tragedy is always present.\n"On Sept. 11, it was my job to make certain that all of my students were safe, stayed safe, and that they called their family," Lame said.\nThroughout these times of crisis, Lame has found that he has developed a closer bond to the students.\n"I have spent many hours worrying," Lame said. "But I am glad to be here with these young people."\nThe Washington Leadership Conference ends in December, but SPEA is making alternative options available to both Lame and the students.\n"So far we have only had one student leave because of all of this," Lame said. "We want the students to make their own decisions and we are here for them in whatever they decide to do"