Get ready for 'Harry Potter'

I coached baseball this summer. I would arrive early before practice, sit in the dugout in my solitude and restlessly read "Harry Potter," a genuine page-turner. And when it was time for practice to begin and the boys and girls came running onto the field with their gloves and their bats, they had no intention of playing baseball. They wanted me to read them "Harry Potter." \nWell, this is it, fellow Potter fans! We have been eagerly awaiting not only the release of the fifth book, but the movie. The premiere of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is next week in London and millions of us will get our first taste of what critics and others think of the long-awaited movie. \nAudiences are likely to flock to a film like this, not only because of its indescribable popularity or for escapism from the recent national terrorist scares. It's because the story is well ... so darned good. And those film analysts out there who suggest the film's running time of just under two and a half hours may be daunting for children with short attention spans might want to think again. The fourth Potter novel is more than 700 pages long, and did that discourage any of us? \n"Harry Potter and The Sorceror's Stone" is the first of J.K. Rowling's series of books about the a wizard's search to unravel the mystery of his powers and the puzzled past of his murdered parents. This story has about as much magic outside of the book as it does in the pages, appealing to all ages, from children who haven't even reached elementary school to adults who are old enough to file for a senior citizen card. Readers have simply accepted the fact that Harry Potter grabs you by the collar and throws you into this wonderful world that you just don't want to leave. \nAnd for those who have seen pictures of the cast ... wow! Is it me or do these actors look exactly how you imagined the characters to be? Child star Daniel Radcliffe is probably finding it hard to believe he is the most envied boy in the world after being cast as the title character. He was reportedly very nervous while making the hot new film, but director Chris Columbus and fellow star and veteran actor Robbie Coltrane (who plays Hagrid) both suggest that Radcliffe's performance is "uncanny." And who knew that such well-known actors like Richard Harris would be perfect for Professor Dumbledore or that Alan Rickman is Professor Snape. \nBut please now, let us not neglect the talent of the crew behind this epic saga. Columbus is simply perfect for the job of director. Some wanted Steven Spielberg, but remember, Columbus has also warmed our hearts with films such as "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Home Alone." I think he's capable. Don't forget the even less noticeable screenwriter Steven Kloves, who garnered an Oscar nomination for "Wonder Boys." Or John Seale, the cinematographer, who's responsible for such films as "Rain Man" and "Dead Poet's Society." Did I mention the musical composer John Williams? I think we all know the music to "Jaws," "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones."\n"Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," the second book in the classic saga, is already being filmed as we speak. (And for those of you who haven't been updated, The Associated Press in London has just announced that Hugh Grant has stepped down from the starring role of Gilderoy Lockhart because of scheduling conflicts. The role has officially been given to veteran actor Kenneth Branagh. Does anyone besides me think this is an awesome choice? Did anyone not see his performance in "Hamlet" in 1996? If you haven't, I suggest you run to the video store and pick it up.)\nAccording to the filmmakers, later film adaptations really depend on the success of the first two. With actors like the aforementioned, I think we can safely say they'll be more adaptations. We'll get a better glimpse of things to come for the success of the Harry Potter movie franchise next week at the London premiere.