Sunday, Oct. 6

Freshman nets hat trick in win

Ambersley's goals all IU needs as defense shuts out Wolverines

On a cold day in Ann Arbor, Mich., freshman forward Mike Ambersley was red hot. He became the first IU player to post a hat trick this season, tallying all three of the Hoosiers (7-2-0, 3-0 Big Ten) goals in their shut out of the Michigan Wolverines.\nThe last time a hat trick was achieved by a Hoosier was last season against the Wolverines by Matt Fundenberger, who has since graduated.\nThe Hoosiers shot conservatively, but were effective when they went at the goal. The game began with Michigan displaying their offense. The Wolverines got off a few unsuccessful shots before the Hoosiers took control. \nJunior forward Pat Noonan initiated the Hoosier's first offensive attack when he sent the ball down the left side of the field to redshirt freshman Josh Reiher. Reiher fed the ball to Ambersley, who knocked it into the lower left corner of the Michigan net for his first goal at the 10:22 mark.\n"The first goal was all my teammates," Ambersley said. "Josh made a great run and gave me the chance to put the ball in the net."\nAt the 20:36 mark, Ambersley would get his second score on his second shot. Ambersley rebounded the ball off of a blocked shot and sent it right back at Joe Zawacki, the Michigan keeper, who could not make the save. \nThe Hoosiers came out in the second half and continued to dominate the game on both sides of the ball. Behind strong defense from IU's backs, the offense (and Ambersley) was able to come through with their third and final goal. \nThe Wolverines took the second-half kickoff and pushed into the Hoosier box, looking for their first score. The ball was intercepted by senior midfeilder Tyler Hawley, however, who pushed it back towards Michigan territory. As Hawley took the ball over the midfield line, he passed the ball up to Ambersley who blasted it past a diving Zawacki to complete the hat trick.\nIU's defense played strong throughout the game as well, holding the Wolverines at bay. Senior Colin Rogers contributed another solid performance at the goalie position for the Hoosiers. He grabbed four saves on the game. Redshirt freshman Jay Nolly also saw some action at keeper for the Hoosiers, tallying one save.\nHead coach Jerry Yeagley said he was glad to see Ambersley contribute a solid offensive game.\n"It is good to see our young players stepping up and creating opportunities," Yeagley said. "(Mike) Ambersley did a nice job taking pressure off (Noonan). It was encouraging to see players other than Noonan scoring goals."\nNoonan and Ambersley have combined for 12 of the Hoosiers 19 goals.