Comedic crew can't come through

'Zoolander' comes up short despite star-studded cast

The problem with reviewing movies is that you're not allowed to leave in the middle, no matter how bad a movie gets. Ben Stiller is in over his head with "Zoolander," a film he starred in, wrote, directed and produced. The best compliment I can pay the film is that it shows that some actors are still willing to take risks and leave behind what works. \nStiller has found success as the Woody Allen-ish, why-is-this-happening-to-me lover in "There's Something About Mary" and "Meet the Parents" as well as the regular guy mixed up in a love triangle in "Reality Bites"

and "Keeping the Faith." Here, he goes for the Jim Carrey approach to comedy: a one-man attack of contorted faces and outlandish comments. Unfortunately, Stiller does not have the comedic skills to carry a film in the same way that Carrey does, and so he falls flat on his face. I would say that he wasn't given a good script, but then again, he wrote it. \n"Zoolander" is a ridiculously contrived story about male supermodels being brainwashed into assassinating world leaders. Derek Zoolander (Stiller) has been selected to kill the prime minister of Malaysia, a man who is going to close down sweatshops where children produce many hip garments. \nThe plot line is abandoned halfway into the movie so that Stiller can explore the "secret world of male supermodels." This includes a runway challenge, or "walk off," between Zoolander and his rival Hansel (Owen Wilson). The prime minister plot then reappears for the film's last 25 minutes. \nDon't bother seeing this movie. It's got an "Austin Powers" feel but without the laughs.