world

Afghans mourn slain leader

Alleged American betrayal results in opposition leader's death

PESHAWAR, Pakistan -- Grizzled comrades-in-arms of slain Afghan guerrilla Abdul Haq gathered at his family's home on Sunday to pay their respects and weep over what they saw as their old commander's abandonment by the United States. \nHaq had ventured back into Afghanistan on a maverick mission to encourage defections among the ruling Taliban. Instead, he was captured, despite a last-minute U.S. effort to protect him, and was executed Friday as a spy. \n"We all hate America, all of us," said Dad Mohammed, a one-legged Afghan war veteran, wiping tears off his face. "They always want to use us and our people, and then they abandon us." \nHaq's mission ended early Friday in an Afghan mountain canyon, where Taliban forces ambushed, surrounded and captured him. The Taliban say they executed him and two companions within hours, under a religious edict authorizing death for U.S. spies. \nAfter initially saying they would turn over the corpse of the outgoing, heavyset 43-year-old ex-guerrilla to his family in Pakistan, the Taliban told relatives Sunday that they had buried the body in his home village of Surkhrud, in Taliban territory. \nSunday, a week to the day after Haq's mission started, relatives and other Afghan exiles across the border in Peshawar mourned his death and vowed to continue the fight. \n"We lost our brother, but our war will persevere," din Mohammed said. "We renew our promise to fight for Afghanistan, and the people of Afghanistan." \nDespite the brave words, the death of Haq dealt a major blow to the opposition cause, cowing both the opposition in exile, and likely any Taliban thinking of switching sides. \nIn interviews with reporters and conversations with colleagues, Haq said he believed he could get a hearing from former war comrades now in the Taliban's higher echelons. \nU.S. officials say they neither endorsed nor supported Haq's mission, simply wished him good luck. However, the CIA sent a missile-armed drone to protect Haq as he tried to evade the Taliban. The unmanned plane fired and hit a suspected Taliban convoy, but failed to save Haq. \nOn Saturday, Richard McFarlane, Ronald Reagan's former national security adviser, said a U.S. plane intervened after people traveling with Haq frantically called supporters in the United States from a cell phone and asked for help as Taliban forces were closing in. \n Like Haq, the United States has sorely wished for opposition to emerge to the Taliban on their own territory. \n Three weeks of U.S.-led bombing, while incurring civilian casualties that have increased anger here and in Afghanistan, have failed either to break Taliban control of Afghanistan or spur top defections. \nAfter his capture, U.S. officials lauded Haq's aims. \n"Throughout his life, this gentleman has been a voice for the establishment of broad-based government for his country," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Friday, before word of his death was confirmed. \nSunday, Mohammed, the veteran, recalled how he and Haq fought against Afghanistan's Soviet occupiers in the 1980s, when Mohammed was a teenager. Now a wrinkled, stooped and graying 36, he said Haq had recently warned him to be ready for a new call to arms. \nIf he could, Mohammed said, he would follow his comrade into Afghanistan and avenge his death. \n"If I did not have this," he said, gesturing at his artificial leg, "I would wrap myself in bombs and go kill"