Mainstream VMA's reward shameless self-promotion

Once upon a time, MTV was about non-conformity. It was a forum for many artists who had no other outlet, and it has been instrumental in making stars out of many artists, as well as bringing rap into the mainstream. Most of all, it was about playing music videos. \nBoy, have times changed.\nThe 2001 Video Music Awards were, for the most part, a showcase for mindless pop hits and shameless self-promotion. The show was not funny, uninspired and, unlike in past years, had no outrageous moments or anything that will make it memorable. \nThe closest thing to an interesting moment was Michael Jackson's surprise appearance during 'N Sync's performance, but it was way too short and he didn't sing.\nThe problems started with the host, Jamie Foxx. Hosts of huge award shows don't work unless they are huge themselves. They can't be looking at the show as a way to boost their careers' or reputations. The VMA's best hosts in the past were mega stars like Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Dennis Miller and the four-time host Arsenio Hall. Foxx, and last year's hosts Shawn and Marlon Wayans, were awed, confused and most of all, not funny. \nSo much of MTV has become style over substance, and a lot of the music reflects that. The performers onstage disappear into a slew of background dancers and elaborate sets. This year's brand new MTV2 awards honored the best music from the young station that plays only videos, and the two of the night's best performances were not surprisingly from new artists: Linkin Park and Alicia Keys. It was refreshing to see these two acts playing their own instruments with the spotlights on them and not their dancers. It was also nice to see Jay-Z, who has proved to have real staying power and who always sounds just as good live as he does on the record. This can't be said for Britney Spears, who didn't even try to match her mouth to her voice this year. Closing the show with her was a poor choice.\nAnother poor choice was letting Eminem walk away empty handed. In this age of stale, 12-year-old girl pop, Eminem is a real artist. He writes songs that are funny, thought-provoking and real, and he's not afraid of critics. Hopefully for the 2002 VMA's MTV will get its act together, and show everyone why it is still the fresh station people expects it to be.