Jill's House a source of comfort for patients

Founders hope sense of security lost when Behrman disappeared will return

Bud and Peg Howard have a vision, an image of a brighter tomorrow for those in need. This vision encompasses a facility where cancer patients can live for six to eight months while receiving treatment at the IU Cyclotron Facility.\nThe structure will be named "Jill's House" in honor of Jill Behrman, the freshman who disappeared while riding her bike the morning of May 31, 2000. The house will soon be known as a "home away from home" to several individuals.\nThe Howards were directly impacted by cancer, inspiring their passion and efforts in aiding others with the disease. Their son, Steven, was diagnosed with bone cancer his senior year in high school. Peg Howard and her son traveled to New York to receive treatment. Steven later died. \n"The impact of a child with cancer is hard enough and then imagine having to leave your surroundings and support," Peg Howard said. "It is extremely difficult."\nJill's House will provide stability to those in need. The same people will be going through the same experiences, creating an instant family.\nThe Behrmans were delighted by news of the facility. \n"There were so many people that jumped on the bandwagon and wanted to be involved. It is going to be a special place not only with the community but the University as well," Marilyn Behrman said. \nPeg Howard hopes the sense of security that was lost with the disappearance of Behrman will be restored with Jill's House.\n"We want this to bring some means of healing for her family as well as the community," Peg Howard said.\nThe house will have 20 bedrooms with private baths, a great room, a dining room, library, playroom, chapel, two offices, four kitchens and a playground. Donations are accepted to honor or memorialize a loved one. For $100, a personalized brick is placed in the front entrance or in the outside dining area. The location of the house is not yet finalized, but it will be near the IU Cyclotron, 2401 N. Milo B. Sampson Lane, north of Memorial Stadium.\nThe cyclotron plans to implement a state-of-the-art cancer therapy referred to as proton therapy where protons or subatomic particles travel at intense speeds, releasing energy once in contact with the target area. The treatment is unique due to its ability to minimize the damage caused to the healthy surrounding tissues.\nProton therapy is typically used to destroy cancerous tumors that are located near vital organs. The protons are able to deliver an intense dose of radiation to the infected area, bypassing the essential organ.\nProton therapy centers are scarce in the United States, due to the high costs of construction and equipment. Initial expenses cost roughly $80 million. But the maintenance of the center is conceivably lower in expense. Two proton centers currently exist in Loma Linda, Cal. and Boston, Mass. \nBloomington will be the third location to host such a facility and the first to offer free lodging facilities for the patients. Jill's House, Inc. and the proton center are expected to bring in an additional $7.3 million to the Bloomington community, Bud Howard said.\nBut it will add more than economic value to the area, he said. It will add prestige as well.\nIndividuals battling cancer will travel from far and wide to receive the advanced treatment in addition to a deeper sense of hope. With that traveling comes a need for food and accommodations.\nJill's House, Inc. will provide this necessity, saving each patient roughly $5,000 to $6,000. In addition, transportation will be supplied, giving patients and caregivers one less burden to bear.\nJill's House, Inc. is hoping to interact a great deal with school departments, welcoming students who wish to participate in the cause. Volunteers are always needed. The next fund raising effort will be the Bloomington's Fourth Annual Playmaker Basketball Tournament held Oct. 6-7. A portion of the proceeds will go toward "Jill's House, Inc."\n"Small steps are typically taken in the fight toward cancer, however this is a giant step," Bud Howard said.