Haston doesn't regret decision

Charlotte draft pick wishes best for IU, Texas Tech

Basketball standout Kirk Haston made a big decision by foregoing his senior year of eligibility and entering the NBA draft. Haston, who was selected by the Charlotte Hornets with the 16th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft, said he still thinks about his times as a Hoosier.\n"I still have days and nights were it would be nice to see my friends at school," Haston said.\nWhile reflecting on the past, he said he is still content about his decision and his future.\n"From the second that I was drafted by Charlotte and got acquainted by the staff, it was easy for me. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was the right one." \nHaston is the first player to enter the NBA draft before his eligibility was up since Isaih Thomas departed in 1982. \nMonday marks the one-year anniversary of the firing of former coach Bob Knight, and with the coach already gone during his junior year, it is uncertain if Haston would have stayed had circumstances been different, Haston said.\n"I really haven't thought about it a whole lot, but I didn't have to go through the entire process. It was hard enough this time," he said.\nWith the 6'10'' forward/center from Lobleville, Tenn., gone, IU will have big shoes to fill. Haston led the Hoosiers to a 21-13 record with a team high 19 points and 8.7 rebounds. He ranks 17th on the Indiana all-time scoring list. Haston said he is confident in this year's team and expects to see some big things.\n"I have been in contact with a lot of the guys and will be pulling as hard as anybody for them. A lot of guys are gonna get a chance they wouldn't have when I was there," Haston said. "There is more time in the forward spot. I think you are going to see a new Dane Fife."\n"Dane has always put a lot of pressure on himself to perform. He could have taken more shots, but chose not to because he thought that's what the team needed. It's hard to get in a rhythm with four or five shots."\nWhile Haston will be rooting for the Hoosiers, there is another team he will be watching. He said he is curious to see how Texas Tech's basketball team will fare this season.\n"I have been wondering," Haston said. "I talked to coach several times this summer and he seems to be optimistic. You can give him five or six guys, and he will make them winners. I will be an advocate of Texas Tech and just can't help but pull for Coach."\nHaston said he is confident in the abilities of head coach Mike Davis to deliver a solid IU program. He said he feels Davis has made large strides from being the interim head coach for the Hoosiers. \n"Last season spoke for itself. It was a difficult position to be in, and I think he handled it really well," he said. "He seemed a little nervous early in the season. Later in the season, he was more comfortable."\nAs far as comparing the coaching of Knight and Davis, Haston said he feels certain the changes are not as drastic as the public might think.\n"From the first day Davis mentioned names on jerseys, I was getting e-mails. I think it was blown out of proportion," Haston said. "It's a compromise, between coach and player. Without a comfort level, you can't do anything."\nHaston said he is excited about his rookie season as a Hornet and is starting to adjust.\n"I've been here for three weeks now, and I've been working out real well," he said. "I think I'm fitting in real well. It isn't as comfortable as Bloomington, but hopefully, it will be"