Breaking the language barrier

Community, campus working together to educate on Spanish language, culture

When Stephen Grimsley, a doctoral student of Hispanic Linguistics, eats at the Golden Corral, he said he notices the increasing number of Spanish-speaking employees. \nWhen he goes shopping for books at the Barnes and Noble, 2813 E.Third St., he finds shelves full of books teaching Spanish to different types of workers from health care providers to managers of restaurants.\nDaily examples like these are the basis for his belief that there is an increasing need for communication between co-workers, bosses and customers who cannot communicate because of language barriers that divide Spanish-speaking people from those who only speak English. In fact, Latinos represent 13 percent of the U.S. population, making up the largest minority group in the United States. \nAs a partial solution to this language barrier, IU's Continuing Studies programs and Bloomington Parks and Recreation, in conjunction with many local organizations, have developed various Spanish-oriented programs. Participants will learn basic Spanish communication skills and culture.\nThe most recent of these programs started Monday night as seven participants, all social service providers, took part in Parks and Recreation's pilot program that teaches basic Latino culture and communication to English speakers.\n"Intro to Spanish Skills for Social Service Providers" meets every Monday at the Bloomington Adult Community Center, 349 S. Walnut St. With only two instructors and seven students, participants receive hands-on teaching and role playing designed to teach as much about culture and basic communication as possible. \nMichael Simmons, a specialist with Adult and Family Services at Bloomington Parks and Recreation, oversees the pilot program and said the need for programs is high throughout Bloomington and the United States.\n"The need for more effective communication was expressed to us, and we explored ways to fulfill the need," Simmons said.\nHe looked to Gonzalo Isidro-Bruno, director of IU's International Center and doctoral student, for the curriculum for the class. He then got a certified Spanish teacher and a native Spanish teacher to teach the class.\nSimmons said that while the weekly class aims to teach gestures, basic communication and culture skills to social service providers from various nonprofit organizations, it is a pilot program. With changes to the curriculum through an evaluation process, Simmons hopes to make the class a regular part of People's University.\nPeople's University, the school for Bloomington adults offers courses from "Uncooking," a class that teaches healthy eating, to "Doing the Splits," a woodworking course.\nPeople's University also set up a series of courses that teach English as a second language to international community members. These classes often have many Spanish participants, Simmons said, who learn along with many Asian students and Bloomington residents from Russia and other countries.\n In the spring, Parks and Recreation will offer classes that teach Spanish to health care providers, a growing necessity in the health care industry across the nation, Simmons said. Associate Professor of Spanish and Portugese Joseph Clements, undergraduate studies director for the department, agrees. \n"Nursing students have come to our department looking for Spanish courses for health care providers," Clements said. \nThe growing need for communication among people who speak different languages affects the IU campus, community and students' lives, Clements said. \n"Indianapolis doesn't know what to do with all the Hispanics that have moved there. They can't communicate with them, and they are a valuable workforce," Clements said, "Students are also realizing that Spanish is the most practical second language and that becoming bilingual makes finding a job much easier."\nIn Spanish classes at IU, both Grimsley and Clements note the increasing enrollment in Spanish classes from the 200 to 400 levels. This semester, 2,631 students are enrolled in various levels of Spanish, many more than any other language at IU.\nWhile only 1.9 percent of Monroe County is of Latino origin, Simmons said he expects that percentage to increase, approaching the state average of 3.5 percent.\nGrimsley begins teaching a continuing studies course "Spanish in the Workplace" Sept. 27 with hopes of reaching the people in need of communicating in the workplace or business setting.\nIn the future, both the Department of Continuing Studies and Parks and Recreation plan to extend the programs available to accommodate the increasing need to understand the Latino culture that in the next census should exceed any other minority group in the United States.\nAs the Latino population continues to increase, Grimsley said, he expects to see even more teaching resources on the shelves of bookstores. He said he hopes that with courses like his available, the next time he is in the Golden Corral he will hear effective communication between employees of every linguistic background.