Saturday, July 27

Big Ten games brought home

Sally Schulte, assistant coach of the women's volleyball team, says it's good to be home for the second round of Big Ten play that will take place this weekend.\n"Having the home court advantage should really help out a lot," Schulte said. "We need the fan support."\nCoach Katie Weismiller shared Schulte's sentiments.\n"We really need to get fans in the stands and get this place loud, to take advantage of having the home court," she said. We also have to protect our home court and play aggressively."\nThe Hoosiers said they are concerned with Wisconsin's offense. The Badgers are 2-0 in the Big Ten and already have had two players named Big Ten Player of the Week.\nSenior Laurie Gardner is excited about the Wisconsin game this weekend. Her sister, Korie Gardner, will be on the other side of the net this weekend playing for Wisconsin.\n"It's got to be different to have your sister across the net but I think she prepares for Wisconsin just like she prepares for any other game," Weismiller said.\n"I don't think about it when I'm playing," Gardner said, "I would say we're competitive, but not necessarily with each other. When we talk on the phone, there's not much we say about volleyball."\nGardner thinks if they keep their confidence high this weekend they can beat Wisconsin Friday night, and Northwestern Saturday, especially with their recent blocking improvement.\n"Northwestern is a good blocking team," Gardner said, "But we have shown that we're a great blocking team, so I think it will be a good match up."\nNorthwestern has won their first two Big Ten games against Michigan and Michigan State.\n"Northwestern's middle blocker is very good," Schulte said. "They have a young setter, but are still very strong."\n"They are coming off two big wins and feeling confident," Weismiller said. "We have to step up and play. The one thing about the Big Ten you learn early is that we have to respect every team. Northwestern has shown that 2001 is a different year for them and they're ready to play."\nFreshman Victoria Zimmerman said the weekends games are going to be tough.\n"Wisconsin is experienced but Northwestern has been blocking a lot of teams really well," Zimmerman said. "We actually are turning into a really good blocking team, we out blocked Penn State last weekend. If we can pass well, we can be an amazing team."\nFriday night's game is also Nike High School Night at University Gymnasium. High school volleyball teams around the state are invited to attend the game, with chances to win different Nike attire. The NCAA restricts what IU can and can't do for the students because they might be prospective athletes. The teams are encouraged to come and receive a special group rate for tickets.