Mayor names new fire chief

As a 15-year veteran of the fire service, assistant fire chief Jeff Barlow's duties have ranged from enjoyable, to mundane, to grisly.\nBut hard work will soon pay off for Barlow, who Mayor John Fernandez has named successor to fire chief Dick Sexton after his announced retirement May 22. Barlow has been a Bloomington firefighter for three years. In a press release, Fernandez said he is excited about Barlow stepping up to the chief position.\n"He's been a firefighter in this department, and in his short time as deputy chief has demonstrated excellent leadership, management and administrative skills," he said. "The department and the community will be well-served."\nSexton, Barlow's predecessor, joined the department in 1969 and will retire after spending less than one year of his 32-year career as chief. \n"The fire department has been my life, and I was able to get some important things done as chief," Sexton said in a press release. "Now I'd like to relax a little."\nOrdinarily, a candidate for chief must have five years of department service under his belt. But the Bloomington City Council made a special exception for Barlow, who attributes his quick rise in the ranks to hard work, early planning and familial influences.\nInspired by his father, grandfather and uncle -- all firefighters -- Barlow maintained a regular fitness program and became a volunteer firefighter in high school and then obtained a B.S. from Eastern Kentucky University in fire and safety engineering technology with a concentration in administration.\nAt 30 years old, success has been quick to knock on Barlow's door. But his relative youth does not come without experience. On April 22, 1999, Barlow was one of two firefighters sent to find the body of local radio personality Randy Lloyd after a fire at Knightridge Manor apartments, which destroyed the homes of 31 people. But Barlow likes to focus on more positive aspects of his job.\n"I consider it a really good day when you have the children come into the station," Barlow said. "When you have the chance to interact with the community and you see a little kid look at the fire truck and look at you in amazement. That's a good day."\nCommunity outreach is high on Barlow's agenda as chief. He said he wants to help the community understand the department's job and what it takes to maintain a successful department. But what's even higher on Barlow's agenda is preventing another situation like the one he encountered at Knightridge Manor.\n"If I could do anything I would probably want to prevent any loss of life due to fire," Barlow said. "To prevent loss of life is the first and foremost priority"