Korona family might file lawsuit

Parents send University letter of intent to sue for son's wrongful death

The parents of a freshman who died after attending an IU fraternity party took the first step in suing for the wrongful death of their son in late April, University officials said.\nIn a tort claims letter dated April 17, the family names IU, Theta Chi fraternity and Bloomington Hospital, according to IU Spokeswoman Susan Dillman. It says that the family will seek more than $1 million in damages.\nKorona, 19, died Feb. 4 of bleeding in the brain caused by a skull fracture he sustained at a Jan. 27 Theta Chi party. Korona was hospitalized Jan. 29 and remained in a coma until his death. \nPolice said Korona hit his head on a metal door frame after doing a keg stand at the party. Prosecutor Carl Salzmann decided not to file charges.\nIU counsel Dorothy Frapwell confirmed that the University had received the notice but said she could not comment until she had a chance to review the document further. \n"We're investigating the claim," Frapwell said.\nKorona's family visited their son's grave Mother's Day and were unavailable for comment, family friend Debra Neilson said. The Koronas live in Marlton, New Jersey.\nThe family's lawyer, Richard Hailey, did not return phone calls Sunday.\nBloomington Hospital and Theta Chi fraternity officials could not be reached for comment Sunday.\nA tort is a civil claim in which the plaintiff seeks damages. In tort cases, the plaintiff must show that he or she received actual injury from a wrongful act, as defined by law. \nA tort must be filed within a certain time frame after an act occurred, and not all torts result in lawsuits.\nWhile the prosecutor declined to file charges relating to the fraternity party, the University charged about 25 students who attended the party with alcohol-related violations of the University's Code of Ethics.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said of 25 students charged, 10 have completed their judicial proceedings -- of which one was put on probation, six were reprimanded and four had no action taken against them. The first 10 faced charges relating to illegal alcohol consumption, McKaig said.\nOf the remainder of the students, including some who are facing more serious charges, many sought legal counsel or requested that the process resume at the start of fall semester, McKaig said.\nThe University has been put on notice for a drinking death before.\nPi Kappa Alpha fraternity member Joseph Bisanz, 19, died in 1998.