Team prepares for Big Tens

Women's crew morale high for championship

The season's injuries haven't kept the morale of the women's crew team down. Team members say their spirits are high as ever as they prepare for the Big Ten Championship Saturday.\n"There were a lot of injuries this year that made the season difficult at times, but as a team we have grown a lot and really progressed," sophomore Danielle Bird said.\nThe University of Mich. will play host to the event at their new boathouse at Belleville Lake in Belleville, Michigan. The biggest change in the Big Ten Championship this year will be the scoring. All six events, including varsity and novice races, will count toward the final score. In previous years, only varsity events counted toward the final score.\nSeven teams are participating in the championship -- Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin, which are ranked nationally, Minnesota, which will be competing for the first time, and IU, which will be competing for the second time.\n"We just want to row well and be competitive on Saturday," Bird said. "We want to give the ranked teams some competition." \nCoach Mark Wilson said the team has been practicing since Aug. 28, and they have been preparing for the Big Ten Championship all year. Each race at home and away prepared them for the next, helping them to improve in each race. \nSenior Beth Lund, All-Big Ten women's rowing, said she felt confident with the last few weeks' practices.\n"We've made a lot of changes and I'm confident with those changes," Lund said. "I think the entire team is excited about Saturday."\nWilson said he believes the Big Ten is one of the strongest rowing conferences in the country. \n"With five of the seven teams ranked and IU only in our second year, we aren't sure what to expect on Saturday," Wilson said. "It would be great to upset one of the ranked teams."\nWilson and the team said they were pleased with the support this year and thank anyone who was a part of the support.\n"Women's rowing appreciates the support this year," Wilson said. "There were three home events and it was nice to have supporters there for the team. The team has worked extremely hard and have been getting very focused. I feel we will be prepared for a great championship on Saturday"