Defense shows signs of improvement in third scrimmage

Football coach Cam Cameron said the Hoosier offensive line is as strong as it ever has been.\nThe Hoosiers return all five starters and Cameron has made some adjustments he believes will boost the Hoosiers' offense.\nBut the offensive line couldn't hold back the defense, which made a strong showing at the team's third scrimmage Saturday.\n"(The offensive line) is one of the strengths of our team," Cameron said. "Our defensive line is really improved, but the offensive line is really going to be the strength of this team."\nNot once did the offense find itself inside the end zone. Both the No. 1 and the No. 2 defensive units held the offense to field goals.\nThe offense came close one time, but the Hoosier defense forced a fumble just short of the goal line.\n"That's one of the things we been working on, not giving up at the goal line," senior linebacker Devin Schaffer said. "People take for granted that if the team gets us down to the five yard line,\nthen they are going to score. They still have to execute to get the ball in just like we have to execute to stop them, so it was a big play for the defense and something we can build on."\nNot only was the defense effective in causing turnovers, but the offense was limited to three plays and a punt several times. \nThe defense has been trying to incorporate more of a man-to-man coverage in addition to the zone. It did Saturday, causing the quarterbacks to scramble a little more. \nQuarterbacks Tommy Jones, a junior, and Patrick Thompson, a freshman, spent much of the time trying to out-run the blitz. Jones, a 6-4, 243-pound sophomore from Eaton, Ohio, had the chance to display his athletic ability.\n"We're no different than anybody else," Cameron said. "No matter who your quarterback is, you're looking for an athlete and athletes come in all shapes and sizes. (Tommy) is a good athlete, and he has a nice feel for trying to move away from pressure, but he has to work on the little things. We still missed to many easy completions that were right in front of us."\nWith junior quarterback Gibran Hamdan in Michigan with the baseball team, senior wide receiver Antwaan Randle El took a couple snaps. Saturday's scrimmage was mostly focused on the passing game, but Randle El ran the option.\nCameron said to expect to see Randle El at his old position more than once next season, because his versatility makes him a threat throwing, running and catching.\nRandle El is not the only player Cameron said to expect to be a versatile player. The running backs also took a couple snaps as receivers.\n"We're going to get our backs more involved, especially (sophomore) Brian (Lewis) and (senior) Levron (Williams)," Cameron said. "Levron's got such good hands and was a receiver. We just\nhave to give him the ball."\nCameron said the team wasn't as strong offensively Saturday, but attributes that to an improving defense and new plans in the offensive scheme. \n"This is the first time we had great weather, so that probably effected us a little bit," Williams said. "I think the defense did a good job today and stepped up their game. Everything is off and on every time we practice, but (the offense) has to come out with more focus and concentrate on what we have to do"