Beyond the print: fun with ethics

If there's one thing I've learned while working for the IDS, it's that everyone has something to say.\nThis is a good thing. And I want to hear what you have to say about ethics in journalism.\nThe IDS staff has been working this semester to review and revise its code of ethics, the guidelines we strive to follow to make our publication accurate, unbiased, fair and professional. \nSometimes, we pass our ethics tests with flying colors. Sometimes, we fail miserably, albeit unintentionally. We hope our ethics board meetings will culminate in clear and sound journalistic guidelines for future IDS staffers to follow. \nOur goal is to present the IDS employees and our readership with an updated code of ethics that every staff member will read, understand and follow. An online version and perhaps a print version once a semester will let the public know where we stand on many journalistic topics.\nThe ethics board members are managing editor Andy Gammill, design chief Tim Street, photo editor Jessica Stuart, new media director Rob Pongsajapan, online design chief Sara Despain, reporter and next fall's editor in chief Gina Czark and yours truly. Advisers to the board are editor in chief Brooke Ruivivar, news adviser and publisher David Adams and assistant editorial adviser Beth Moellers.\nOur code of ethics contains the guidelines we follow on a daily basis, a foundation for decision-making. The craft of newspaper reporting is all about constantly updating information as quickly and accurately as possible, making a newsroom a busy and hectic place. Our code of ethics keeps us grounded as we make choices that affect how our readers see the world.\nWe've been meeting almost every Friday this semester, gathering input from staff members, professional journalists and other publications to see how we need to revise our code. We've been discussing and researching topics such as photo alterations and illustrations, the use of confidential sources, obtaining input from both sides of a story and working for outside publications. \nI'm sure some of you, perhaps even some of my most loyal readers, have already abandoned this column because you're not interested in the finer points of journalism. But I also know many of you have strong opinions on many of the topics we are discussing, and I would love to get your input. I will take the feedback you give me and present it to the board in upcoming meetings.\nThe highest calling of any publication is to serve its readership with thorough, accurate, in-depth and unbiased coverage. The only way the IDS staff can serve you better is for you to tell us about your concerns. That is why we have the Jordan River Forum, the Listening Tour, an ombudsman and our Ethics Board. To make these meetings successful, we need reader response. Whether you think we are doing a great job as budding professional journalists, or you think we're a bunch of no-talent hacks, we welcome your input. \nIf you have questions, comments or concerns for the IDS staff regarding the code of ethics, please e-mail me at lewald@indiana.edu. Thank you for reading the IDS. We hope that our updated code of ethics will help us serve our readership better in future semesters.