Honegger kicked off team

Former player faces new charges for leaving state

Rachael Honegger, the women's basketball player who was convicted in October of forgery, was dismissed from the women's basketball team after she was arrested Sunday. \nShe was arrested for violating house arrest from the original forgery conviction, police said. \nHonegger was arrested at 1:16 p.m. Sunday on the 3900 block of West Roll Avenue, said Capt. Joe Qualters of the Bloomington Police Department. Judge David Welch issued a warrant for her arrest, Qualters said. \nHonegger, who had been placed under house arrest instead of incarceration, had been advised that she had to get permission from her probation officer every time she left her home. She had been getting permission to go to her basketball games, including the Big Ten tournament in Grand Rapids, Mich., last weekend.\nIowa eliminated IU from the tournament Saturday 81-76.\nAuthorities were apparently unable to locate Honegger after that, and Welch issued a warrant for her arrest Sunday afternoon. \nIn October, Honegger had pleaded guilty to forgery for embezzling from her previous employer, the Ellettsville IGA. She was forced to pay back about $13,000. Welch gave her a three-year prison sentence, with all but six months suspended, and she had been placed under house arrest.\nPending investigation, IU President Myles Brand suspended Honegger from the team for five games. After reviewing the decision, the Faculty Athletics Committee had recommended that she be allowed to play on the team again. \nCommittee chairman Bruce Jaffee, a business school professor, said the committee had reviewed both the specifics of her situation and the procedures in place internally and externally for dealing with student-athlete misconduct.\nThe 19-member group had concluded in its report that Honegger's case had not been handled properly by the athletics department "through no fault of her own."\nJaffee said he was disappointed Honegger didn't take advantage of being able to continue playing.\n"It was very unfortunate that this should happen, especially after the committee had recommended that she be given a second chance," he said.\nHandling the matter internally, the team -- which will play in the postseason -- immediately dismissed Honegger. \nIn a faxed statement, Coach Kathi Bennett said, "I gave Rachael a second chance, and she did not take advantage of that opportunity." \nBennett said she wouldn't comment further, saying it would violate Honegger's legal rights.\nHonegger had been allowed to play on senior night last Thursday against Illinois, after serving a five-game suspension. \nSusan Dillman, spokeswoman for Brand's office, said the president did know about Honegger's arrest. \nIn a press statement, the president said the Faculty Athletics Committee had unanimously asked for her suspension to be revoked and he felt that had been the right decision at that point. \n"But it is obvious she failed to take advantage of the second chance she had been given," he said, adding that he fully supported the latest decision to dismiss her from the team.\nHonegger is being held at the Monroe County Correctional Center without bail until her next court appearance.