Get Over It: Breaking up is hard to do

• Directed by Tommy O'Haver • Starring Kirsten Dunst, Ben Foster • Rated PG-13 • Now playing at ShowPlace East 11

Some movies are weird, and some movies are beyond weird. \n"Get Over It" is beyond that.\nThis bizarre take on the teen romance genre tries to be a modern remake of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" while completely (and intentionally) getting the plot of the original play wrong. Devotees of the Bard's work will be appalled by the rock musical version of "Midsummer" that is this fictional high school's spring musical. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Everything about this movie is disturbing and alarming on every possible level. Start watching for horsemen, because this movie must be one of the signs of the Apocalypse.\nThe plot itself is relatively simple: A boy is dumped by his girlfriend and makes many pathetic attempts to win her back, including -- you guessed it -- trying out for the school play, despite being tone-deaf and not in the least convincing as an actor. It's difficult to tell whether the actor playing Berke, Ben Foster, gives a wonderful performance or is just a case of art imitating life -- to use the term as loosely as possible. But the plot itself is not necessarily alarming. The incidentals are the disturbing parts.\nThe crude humor fits in with the teenage dramedy style, but the absurd intro, along with random flashbacks saved only for the high-strung drama teacher (Martin Short), make for a ridiculously mismatched movie that tries to be quirky and goes too far. One thing that can be said for "Get Over It" is that some serious effort went into trying to make it different. Whether different is a good or bad thing in this case has yet to be determined. \nDespite being completely different from every movie ever made, "Get Over It" still manages to be predictable. The acting, aside from an overly protective older brother played by Colin Hanks (yes, Tom's son) and Short's overly dramatic teacher, is incredibly mediocre. There is good reason for this, as many of the actors are relatively inexperienced, including Sisqo and Melissa Sagemiller. Shane West takes his role as the slimy villainous new boyfriend a little too seriously. His manner implies that he should wear a moustache and be constantly curling it as he commits dastardly deeds.\nPlease, for your own peace of mind, don't see this movie. It's not worth the anguish it will cause. Much like the relationship in question, this film will take some time to get over.