Fans: 'Keep Mike Davis'

As interim head coach Mike Davis was introduced in Assembly Hall Wednesday night, IU legend Walt Bellamy stood and applauded. But he wasn't just being polite.He's a big Mike Davis fan.\nSo is Kent Benson. Damon Bailey is, too. Add Calbert Cheaney, Archie Dees, Bob Leonard and Jimmy Rayl to the list.\nOn a night celebrating the last century of Indiana basketball, the hot topic of conversation was the future of IU basketball and whether it should include Davis. The answer from the all-century team, and the crowd, was a resounding yes.\nThe eight members of the All-Century team in attendance gave their support for Davis during informal interviews before the game and speeches after it. Near the end of the blowout win, fans chanted "Keep Mike Davis."\n"I think they should take away the 'interim' coach label they've tagged Mike Davis with," said Benson, who played for IU from 1974-77. "It's not fair. I would encourage (the administration) to do the right thing in making that decision soon and giving Davis a three-year contract."\nCurrent Hoosier, junior center Kirk Haston introduced Davis to the crowd after the game. He made his feeelings clear.\n"On behalf of the players," Haston said, "I want to introduce, as far as the players are concerned, our head coach for next season, Mike Davis."\nDavis suggested he'd prefer a five-year deal.\n"I want this job next year," said Davis when he addressed the crowd. "If I'm not though, I'll always be a Hoosier and I appreciate this opportunity."\nHis statement was greeted with a loud ovation. But not quite as loud as the statement made by Benson after the game.\n"To President Brand, (boos by the crowd); to Clarence Doninger, (boos); to the board of trustees (more boos): We are human and we err," Benson said. "To those who did err, and those who did handle the firing of Coach (Bob) Knight, it's not the firing, it's the way it was handled. I encourage you not to compound that error by naming Mike Davis basketball coach of Indiana University."\nDamon Bailey agrees.\n"I think he's done a great job. This has been a tough year all around. This has been a great year and hopefully things stay the way things are. Assuming the players stay here and all the coaches stay here, I think they have an opportunity to be a very good team next year.\n"I think that he should have an opportunity. I think the thing about IU basketball is that IU is a big-time program and they'll get an opportunity to look at a lot of big-time coaches. Does IU need a big-time coach? I don't know."\nDavis has even won over players who played for Branch McCracken.\n"I think he's doing a great job and he's such a nice person," said Jim Rayl, who played from 1961-63. "If they don't keep him, it's a big mistake. The players like him, he's friendly, the assistant coaches, ¦the whole thing. It just makes you want to root for him."\nAll of the supportive statements had an emotional effect on Davis. "It's good to hear those things they said," Davis said. "If I'm not here, I have no hard feelings against the University. Every game I coached was like an interview. If they decide to keep me, I'll be the happiest guy in the world"