Clapping Actors, Golden Statues

When Oscar night rolls around this Sunday, 'Traffic' should be on the road to victory while Julia will bust onto the awards stage

The Oscar winners, like the nominations, are usually a product of politics and popularity. And as the five top categories show, this year won't be much different. With that in mind, my Oscar picks are not what will win, but what should win.

BEST PICTURE\nOf the five films nominated, "Traffic" should take home the night's top honors. The film's three story lines weave together seamlessly, and the ensemble cast is led by great performances from Michael Douglas, nominee Benicio Del Toro and Don Cheadle. Steven Gaghan's screenplay is enhanced by Steven Soderbergh's direction and beautiful photography. Why a film like "Erin Brockovich" was so well-represented (five nominations including best picture) is a mystery. It plays out like a good made-for-TV-movie, but even the best made-for-TV-movie is too long and has a plot that goes in obvious directions. "Brockovich" is nothing more than a vehicle for Julia Roberts, who made the most of it.

BEST DIRECTOR\nWhile Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" defied the laws of gravity and brought to life some amazing fight scenes, Soderbergh deserves the Oscar for "Traffic." Granted, Lee did an incredible job, but "Crouching Tiger" lacked the in-depth plot of "Traffic." Soderbergh's film was not only outstanding visually, but he was also able to maximize the large cast and various film locations. It seemed as if "Crouching Tiger" was primarily an action film with a plot line for filler. This was the same as Ridley Scott's "Gladiator," which was stunning visually, but did not have the strong story.

ACTING IN A LEADING ROLE\nAll of the hoopla in the best actor category lies with Tom Hanks for "Castaway" and Russell Crowe for "Gladiator," but Ed Harris gave the best performance as the late artist Jackson Pollock. Pollock's drinking and manic depression was offset by his amazing ability as an abstract expressionist. Harris, who also directed, played the role perfectly.\nAmerica's sweetheart Julia Roberts cleavaged her way into a nomination and has already taken home the awards from the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild. In winning those awards, she upstaged hands down the best performance of the year for either gender, Ellen Burstyn's portrayal of desperate drug-addicted Sara Goldfarb in "Requiem For A Dream."

ACTING IN A SUPPORTING ROLE\nBenicio Del Toro's performance as a Mexican drug enforcer should win, and probably will. Del Toro is brilliant in a role that pulls his character between his job and his own morality. Jeff Bridges was also good as the president who names a woman as his new vice president in "The Contender," but Del Toro is a shade better.\nThe supporting-actress category is strong this year. Cameron Crowe's "Almost Famous" was given two nominations, Frances McDormand as a worried mother and Kate Hudson a rock 'n' roll groupie (or "band aid"). Hudson is the favorite and is deserving of the Oscar. It is her first nomination, and she is joined in the category by newcomer Marcia Gay Harden, who plays Ed Harris' loving wife in "Pollock"