Purdue prevails against Indiana

When any IU team faces Purdue, motivation isn't a problem. The motivation is Purdue. \nBut this weekend's swim meet against the Boilermakers would also be that last time Purdue would swim in Lambert Pool.\nTry as they might, the men's swim team couldn't beat the Boilermakers. It won four of the events at the meet in a 131-112 loss to Purdue Saturday. \n"It was one of the Indiana-Purdue battles that we came up on the short end of," coach Kris Kirchner said. "We had some great performances by a bunch of different guys."\nOf those great performances was the 400-meter free relay, which took first place with a time of 3:02.35. This was the last event swam in Lambert Pool and will also go down in the books as the pool's fastest time. Sophomore David Schulze won the 200 individual medley in 1:51.86, and placed first in the 200-meter butterfly, finishing in 1:51.91. Senior Will Bernardt finished the 200-meter backstroke in 1:48.55 to capture first.\nThe Hoosiers (2-6, 0-5 Big Ten) are putting the loss behind them.\n"Overall, we did some good stuff, freshman Marc Carlton said. "We're still getting ready for the Big Tens. We're using the next couple of weeks to polish up."\nAnother bright spot for the Hoosiers was the performance of freshman Claes Andersson. Andersson, who is a member of the winning 400-meter free relay, placed just eight-tenths of a second behind Purdue's Dave Weis to finish second in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 21.23. \nAnderson then finished less than half a second behind Purdue's Jon Duncan to place third in the 100-meter freestyle with a time of 46.38. \nSenior diver Tom Davidson had another winning performance, this time winning the one-meter and three-meter springboards. He won the one-meter with a score of 294.75, nearly twenty-seven points ahead of IU sophomore Eric Robson, who came in second. Davidson's 537.30 point total in the three meter put him in front of Purdue second-place diver Adam Hazes by almost 30 points.\nThe Hoosiers will have until Feb. 22 to prepare for the Big Ten Championships in Minneapolis.