Illini grab Big Ten lead, Hoosiers takes 5th slot

Bradford leads Illinois past Michigan State

By defeating No. 4 Michigan State 77-66 Tuesday, No. 6 Illinois took over sole possession of first place in the Big Ten with an 8-2 record in the league.\n"They've been the team to beat in the Big Ten," Illini forward Cory Bradford said of the Spartans. "These guys have been kicking our butt the last couple of years."\nThis year, Illinois got the upper hand as Bradford led all scorers with 22 points. \nBut don't hand the Illini the title quite yet. \nThey have the toughest schedule remaining out of the conference's top three teams -- Illinois, Michigan State (18-3, 7-3 Big Ten) and Iowa (17-4, 6-2). The Illini play four of their final six games on the road, including a trip to Assembly Hall Feb. 17. \n"We've been in this position before," Spartan coach Tom Izzo said. "I don't think the Big Ten is won in one game. (We have) some young players and they have to grow and realize one, two or three mistakes can cost you a game." \nThe Hoosiers (14-9, 5-4) are tied for fifth in the Big Ten with Purdue.\nRecker wrecked\nIowa forward Luke Recker, who played two seasons for the Hoosiers, is likely to miss the rest of the Big Ten season with a broken right kneecap. He said the injury occurred in Iowa's 71-66 victory against visiting IU Jan. 27.\nThere are four weeks left in the regular season, which ends March 4. According to the team physician's timetable, Recker could be back for the Big Ten tournament, which begins March 8.\n"Luke's loss is a big one," Iowa coach Steve Alford said. "His scoring and leadership on the court are why (we're) third in the league standings. He's a guy who you can go to late in the game. He's pulled us out of a lot of games this year."\nRecker scored 27 points against Indiana and sparked the Hawkeyes, who trailed by 17 points at halftime. \nAlford brought in former Hawkeye Kyle Galloway, whose back pain forced him to leave the team before the season started. Galloway will fight the pain and make a comeback for the now-depleted Hawkeyes. \n"It's just a timing issue and a matter of how well his back can hold up," Alford said. "He knows our system and played an awful lot last year. I think he gives us another body in practice who can help us get ready for games."\nBack pain forced Galloway to sit out much of the 1998-99 season, in which he was granted a redshirt year. Galloway returned last season and gave the Hawkeyes a perimeter threat, averaging 8.5 points and was second on the team in three-pointers.\nTwo Gophers out for season\nMinnesota forward John-Blair Bickerstaff broke his right leg Tuesday night in the Gophers 66-59 victory against Northwestern. It's the same leg he broke last year and appeared to be in almost the exact place, just below his right kneecap.\nIn addition to Bickerstaff, the Gophers will have to go the rest of the season without forward Michael Bauer. He underwent surgery for a broken left arm Sunday, one day after breaking it in Minnesota's loss at Purdue Jan. 27.\nBauer scored 19 points in Minnesota's 78-74 overtime victory against IU Jan. 20, while Bickerstaff added 10. The Hoosiers play host to the Gophers Feb. 28.\nThe Associated Press contributed to this report.