Dorm room rates to increase by 4%

Measure will affect incoming students; meal plan unchanged

The board of trustees approved a 4 percent increase in room expenses for the 2001-02 school year at its meeting Friday. \nOnly new students will pay the increase; rates will remain the same for returning students. Meal plan prices will remain the same for all students. \nThe overall revenue increase will be 2.2 percent, which Associate Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs Bruce Jacobs said is the lowest in Big Ten universities. \n"Returning students will have room and board rate frozen," Jacobs said. "For anyone signing a new contract, the (room) rate will be 4 percent higher."\nAt the initial presentation of the rates at the trustees' January meeting, the finance and audit committee reviewed the proposal and addressed concerns. \nResidence Halls Association President Jason Dudich, a senior, accompanied Jacobs to both meetings. He said the trustees wanted to reaffirm RHA's recommendation for the increase, make sure the proposal wasn't changed and solidify the association's stance that they approved of the annual percentage increase.\n"The second time was basically the same as the first, but not as intense," Dudich said.\nHe said the association worked extensively with Residential Programs and Services on the rate increases, and that he was pleased with the outcome.\n"The 4 percent (increase) has always been done -- it's something we're always used to," Dudich said. "RHA worked with RPS on this to make sure the meal plan has some stability."\nSenior Chris Boudi, chairman of the meal plan committee, said freezing the meal plan is the best option for students.\n"It's a good thing. Students every year seem to always have points left over," Boudi said. "If there's no real reason to increase it, just leave it the same. If students run out, they always have the option of buying more. It cuts down the costs to the students"