Dean discusses alcohol abuse

Fraternity learns history of BACCHUS program

As a student at the University of Florida 25 years ago, Gerardo Gonzalez founded an alcohol awareness program he hoped would change students' perceptions of drinking.\nToday the BACCHUS program, which stands for Boost Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students, has nearly 1,000 chapters nationwide. \nGonzalez, dean of the School of Education, spoke to members of Delta Tau Delta fraternity Wednesday night about BACCHUS and the importance of moderation and awareness about alcohol abuse. \nDelts President Matthew Laviolette, a junior, said having someone of Gonzalez's stature speak was important for Delts and helps promote alcohol awareness to members.\n"Having events like this and educating people on a one-on-one basis goes a long way to helping the university's plan," he said. "Once you get it in people's heads that it's the right thing to do then university policy will be much more effective."\nGonzalez said there's a perception that's still true today that anyone who is concerned about alcohol abuse and problems with excessive use of alcohol is a "prohibitionist or on some moral crusade."\nHe said he discovered many students had the same concerns he did about alcohol abuse, and that responsible alcohol use doesn't have to mean not drinking.\n"In moderation, under certain circumstances, (drinking) may be OK," he said. "Excessive drinking is not."\nBACCHUS was named after the Greek god of wine, and Gonzalez said there is an "inherent appeal" in promoting a positive message. \nWhen developing BACCHUS, Gonzalez said he looked to the principles on which the fraternity system was founded -- loyalty, commitment and student support -- as a guide.\nHe told the Delts most college students have probably experienced an unpleasant situation in which someone drank excessively, passed out and threw up. There are certain expectations in college, he said, and maybe one time you get drunk, pass out and have a hangover the next day, but are fine. Then others do it, he said, so you might start to think "it won't happen to me."\nAt the prime of life, death is so far removed, Gonzalez said.\nGonzalez's first visit to IU came after an alcohol-related incident at a greek house. He said former Dean of Students Michael Gordon asked him to create a chapter of BACCHUS after a fire in the early 1980s at a house where people had been drinking and were injured.\nHe also reminded the Delts of the recent death of freshman Seth Korona.\n"Tragically and unfortunately, this was not an isolated incident," he said, speaking about an e-mail listserv that sends him names of students across the country killed or seriously injured from alcohol-related incidents.\n"There's no greater fear a parent can have than getting that dreaded phone call saying your son or daughter was killed at the very time they are in their prime to fulfilling the promise to being the best they can be," Gonzalez said.\nThe culture of campuses has to change, he said, and the fraternity system is already helping. He cited the example of successful dry rushes at many fraternities\n"Tradition is breaking down. Culture is changing," Gonzalez said. "We have a long ways to go before policy changes become cultural changes."\nBecause of the loyalty, caring and contact members have with each other, Gonzalez said, no system is in a better position to promote change.\nGonzalez encouraged members to be aware of one another's behavior, and never to ignore another's problem. \n"Don't ever assume it will be easy," he said. "It is up to you to set the standards and the expectations."\nJunior Joe Matthews, Delts public relations representative, said he was glad to hear a message that empowered students. \n"I think Dean Gonzalez is a real plus to IU and the student body," he said.\nLaviolette said it's important for students to focus on helping one another.\n"His message of getting members of the student body to be proactive with mature management of alcohol has got to happen," Laviolette said. "The University or other officials can make rules for alcohol, but until students actually live up to those rules, they won't have any effect"