Team to face Spartan rematch

After a weekend with one win and one loss to conference rival Miami of Ohio, the hockey team travels to East Lansing, Mich., tonight and Saturday to battle Michigan State.\nIU (14-5-1, 10-1-1 Midwest Collegiate Hockey League) and Michigan State have a long, twisted history. The Hoosiers eliminated the Spartans from the national tournament in 1998 and 2000, while the Spartans eliminated the Hoosiers in 1997 and 1999.\n"I think that it's a nice opportunity to face a team that will probably be heading to nationals with us," assistant coach and general manager Alex Kyrias said. "I think we have the depth and talent to compete, so I'm not worried."\nThe Hoosiers will play Friday without junior forward and assistant captain Bryan Grant. IU's leading scorer, Grant, and junior forward Matt Voll each received a one-game suspension as a result of Saturday's second-period rumble with Miami.\nGordy Haggard will join captain Dan Hauck and assistant captain Brandon Phillips, all junior forwards, on the team's first line Friday.\n"These are must-win games for us," Haggard said. "Friday will test our composure and depth. I think we're up to the challenge."\nThe key to victory this weekend is defense, Kyrias said.\n"This weekend will be tough," Kyrias said. "There's no doubt Michigan State is one of the most talented teams in the country. Their varsity program is the No. 1 team in college hockey. That makes it difficult, but I think we'll manage."\nThe Hoosiers will start senior Chad Whitlock in the net Friday, with Saturday's goalie to be determined. Whitlock enters the weekend with a 4-1-1 record and a 90.1 save percentage on 214 attempted shots. The game is Whitlock's first start since the Hoosiers' Dec. 1 match against Dayton.\n"Every game I've ever played against them has been a close game," Whitlock said. "It's a great rivalry. It adds a little bit of excitement to the game for us."\nIn the American Collegiate Hockey Association rankings released Thursday, IU improved from fourth to third in the MCHL. All seven voting committee members selected the Hoosiers as the third team in the conference. All seven chose Miami, formerly in third place, as the fourth-place team. While the four top-ranking MCHL teams all qualify for the national tournament, standing is important for tournament placement.\n"We have a young team," Haggard said. "Hopefully, we'll take (the Miami weekend) as a learning experience, learn to finish teams quicker and put a dagger in their backs. That's what good teams do -- come right back"