Talented group underachieving in new system

The Mike Davis era is in its interim phase, but obvious strategic blemishes have tainted what was once thought to be a promising young team.\nA lack of toughness and effort by the players has made the team vulnerable to increased scrutiny and losing.\nThe most troubling issue is the team's inconsistency. How can IU beat the nation's best team, Michigan State, then fall to Michigan, one of the worst teams in the Big Ten?\nThe Hoosiers lack identity and presence on the court. Rather than dictating tempo and controlling the pace of a game, IU plays to the level of its opponent and struggles to achieve respectability. \nA 10-7 overall mark (1-2 Big Ten) is a disappointment because the team has individual talents but has not been able to mesh those talents and perform at a high level.\nIU is leaning too much on the shoulders of highly-touted but overrated freshman forward Jared Jeffries. Without an established place on the team, Jeffries has been floundering, taking poor shot attempts from the field and a dismal 59 percent from the free throw line. Once Jeffries enjoys a clearly defined role and begins to excel in that role, he will be a better player and the Hoosiers will be a better team. \nThe Hoosiers' main offensive threat is junior forward Kirk Haston. With a wide array of shots ranging from a baby hook to a 15-foot jumper, Haston is looked on as the premier big man in the conference. Playing 28 minutes per game, Haston's production is outstanding at 17 points and eight rebounds per contest. But Davis has not taken advantage of Haston's abilities in the second half of games, turning a threat into a decoy. For example, Haston made only one field goal in the second half of Tuesday's 70-64 loss at Michigan.\nHaston needs to be on the floor toward the end of close games. His offensive game has to be better used by Davis. Often double-teamed, Haston has the ability as a passer to kick the ball out to the wings where sophomore guards Tom Coverdale or Kyle Hornsby can fire three-point attempts.\nHaston is doubled because junior guard Dane Fife is not a scoring threat. Fife averages only four points per game and has never taken more than eight field goal attempts in a game. As an offensive liability, a defender can take advantage of Fife's weakness and double-team other players. \nFife has to take more shots and create the illusion that he can hit an open jump shot. \nThe Hoosiers' scoring has sputtered for long stretches during games because of a lack of an offensive rhythm and the lack of a go-to player.\nIU uses much of the shot clock, passing the ball around the perimeter before setting up a play. Often, the play breaks down, and the Hoosiers force a poor shot. Because IU does not have a playmaker who can create his own shot, the team has to call plays earlier and find weaknesses in its opponents' defense. \nThe Hoosiers need to reassert themselves as a team and realize that the Big Ten schedule will destroy any hopes of an NCAA tournament berth if the team cannot focus better. Close games need to be wins, but for that to happen, Davis has to motivate his players to want more. Davis needs to rethink his strategy for the Hoosiers to become a more aggressive, effective and winning basketball program.