Students observe Lunar New Year

Today marks the Lunar New Year celebrated by Chinese all over the world. \nAt IU, students from China, Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Indonesia and Taiwan will celebrate with a party Friday at the Willkie Quad Auditorium.\nBefore the introduction of the solar calendar system in China, the Chinese used the lunar calendar based on the phases of the moon, according to www.web-holidays.com. This is the first day of the first month of the lunar year, said graduate student Mi-Young Kim, who coordinates programs at the Asian Culture Center.\n"In Korea, the day begins with a ceremony to remember ancestors," Kim said. She moved to the United States from Korea 11 years ago. \n"Some families prepare a table to make an offering to their ancestors," she said. "A traditional meal, including fruit, fish and tuck-kuk, a rice cake soup, are set out on a low table, around which the family gathers."\nMaysee Yang, a graduate assistant at the center who is helping to coordinate the event Friday, said the holiday is an international one.\n"People have the impression that it is just the Chinese," Yang said. "(The holiday) helps bring all sorts of groups together."\nYang's family is Hmong, an ethnic group in Laos, she said. The Yang family immigrated to Wisconsin. \nShe said the family's celebration can take place any time in the fall or around Christmas during several days.\nAnother student assistant helping with the party is junior Sherlianty Widjaja. Her grandparents moved from the southern part of China to Indonesia. \n"It is a time for families to come together and honor their ancestors." she said. They visit her father's oldest brother. The parents give children money in red envelopes for luck, and the children wish for their parents' prosperity.\n"This year, the Asian Culture Center, along with other Asian student groups, are coming together for a celebration including music, food a slide show and a fashion show," Kim said.