Ritchie cooks up laughs in 'Snatch'

Although famous for his weekend jaunt to Scotland to marry the Material Girl, Guy Ritchie directs films too! This said with a hint of sarcasm because surprisingly, "Snatch," a caper of sorts, shows real directorial talent. This film, although missing a deep meaning, is fun fluff. Ritchie successfully interchanges many story lines that end up connecting in the style of a film like "The Usual Suspects" or "Go." \nThis fast-paced caper-heist film chronicles the passage of a diamond that every character is trying to get his or her fingers on. Originally apprehended by Frankie Four Fingers (Benicio Del Toro), a notorious gambler, the jewel is the object of obsession by every gangster in town, including a man known as Boris. \nHe hires three bumbling thieves to find the jewel, but they are quite inexperienced at crime and end up making things worse. This is set in the backdrop of illegal boxing where Mickey (Brad Pitt), a boxer with an undecipherable accent, refuses to go along with the promoter to throw the fight. \nThere are many colorful characters trying to both find the jewel and to just make a dollar. \nThere are many bright moments in this film. A scene with Frankie Four Fingers being fitted for a suit is hilarious. This is Benicio Del Toro's year he has shined in every movie he has had contact with. The scenes with Del Toro that flash him gambling with background music pumping "Viva Las Vegas" are great. Pitt is also convincing as a trailer park bum who cannot be understood by anyone but his mother and his other trailer park friends. \nWhere does "Snatch" fall short? Well, some of the cuts in the movie seem to be straight out of an MTV music video. Halfway through the film it loses its luster. But a fantastic climax makes up for the boredom. In addition, Dennis Farina's character, Abraham Denovitz, seems to be the same one he played in "Get Shorty."\nThis film needs close attention because the dialects at time are unclear. Although this film is not deep, it doesn't need to be. It is sublimely funny, and the performances of a great cast should not be missed.