Hoosiers' momentum sputters in loss

Blanchard's 21 lifts Wolverines past IU

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Two days after knocking off No. 1 Michigan State, the Hoosiers lost to unranked Michigan 70-64.\nFreshman forward Jared Jeffries scored 15 points to lead the Hoosiers. Junior forward Kirk Haston added 13 while freshman guard Andre Owens scored 10.\nThe game was decided down the stretch as Michigan (7-6, 1-1 Big Ten) outscored IU 13-9 in the final six minutes of the game that included a 9-2 run. But poor field goal shooting, combined with inconsistent defense and a lack of effort throughout the night, didn't help the Hoosiers.\n"It seems like that win was all for nothing," sophomore guard Tom Coverdale said. "We just wasted one and you can't do that if you want to win the league."\nMichigan's starting front line of Josh Asselin, LaVell Blanchard and Chris Young combined for 45 of Michigan's points, while all Michigan guards combined for 17 points. Blanchard led all scorers with 21.\n"They played hard defensively and forced Haston and Jeffries into tough shots," IU interim coach Mike Davis said. "We couldn't stop their inside guys. Every time they wanted a basket they went inside. Every time they missed, they got the rebound and put it back in. Michigan's inside guys flat-out dominated our inside guys."\nIU (10-7, 1-2 Big Ten) struggled to find good looks at the basket when trying to execute its half-court offense. The Hoosiers made only 35 percent of their shots from the field and only three-of-18 from behind the arc.\n"Defensively we played very well," said Michigan's Asselin, who scored 14 points. "Our post play was excellent and our guards stepped it up down the stretch."\nThe fast break was IU's most effective -- and sometimes its only -- weapon. On back to back possessions in the first half, IU successfully pushed the ball up the floor for easy baskets. Haston scored on a dunk, then Owens buried a three-pointer on the next possession to stretch Michigan's lead to 22-19. Even 6-foot-9 forward Jeffrey Newton got into the fast break action. He went coast-to-coast for a layup early in the second half.\n"When we ran, we had it, but we didn't run all night," Coverdale said. "We just didn't play the kind of defense we played in the first two Big Ten games."\nAfter Josh Moore scored to give Michigan a five-point lead, the Hoosiers scored eight consecutive points, the longest streak by either team in the first half. Haston and Owens scored four each during the run. Owens also scored back to back fast break baskets later in the game, the first coming on a finger-roll over Blanchard. The Wolverines responded with seven unanswered points and took the lead 31-27 lead. Michigan led 33-32 at halftime.\nThe Hoosiers were dealt a blow with 12:10 remaining in the first half when sophomore guard Kyle Hornsby had to leave the floor with a cut on his face. He dove for a loose ball and his head hit the court and bounced up like a ball. Blood instantly started dripping from his forehead. While play continued, he stumbled to his feet, looking dazed. He sat on the floor while IU trainer Tim Garl held several towels over the cut. Coverdale was immediately taken to the lockerroom.\n"That may have been the only effort play we had all night," Davis said.\nIn the second half, he sat on the bench with a bandage on his forehead above his right eye and did not play.\n"(Team doctors) were worried about the fact that I was disoriented when they brought me off the court," Hornsby said.\nJeffries got off to a slow start. He made only one of seven shots in the first half and one of two free throws. Jeffries returned to form in the second half to score 12 points. At times he seemed bothered by a sore lower back.\n"They battled Jeffries and Haston. When they cut through the lane they got hit," Davis said. "Michigan shot the ball and went for the offensive rebound. When the ball was loose they came up with it. They deserved to win this basketball game."\nOwens' eyes didn't leave the ground as he walked out of Crisler Arena until he reached the team bus.\n"It makes you feel embarrassed. People can say, 'Oh it was just a fluke they beat Michigan State,'" Owens said. "We should have beat them but we didn't"