Club team searching for attention

Men's volleyball remains one of two unbeaten teams in conference play

Although many are familiar with IU's women's volleyball team, some might not be aware there is a men's team. \nThe team is a B-level club sport, which means it receives minimal monetary support from the University, does not compete at the Division-I varsity level and does most of the financing on its own. The uniforms are provided by IU. \n"Nobody thinks that there is a men's team here, but this is it," team president and sophomore Jeremy Levy said. "We are a really young and up-and-coming team, and we are looking to win the Big Ten this year and finish nationally in the Top 25."\nLast semester, the team went 14-4 during preseason play, including victories over Northern Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue. This semester, the team has very high hopes, and second year coach Dave Boos, an assistant on the women's team, said he expects the team to finish fourth in the Midwest. He said the team hopes to be one of the top two teams in the Big Ten.\n"This team hasn't had much success in the past, but this season should be different," Boos said.\nThe team had its regular season opener Saturday at Purdue in the Big Ten Qualifier. The Hoosiers (5-0, 5-0 Big Ten) won all five matches and are currently the Big Ten's top team. Only Michigan State remains unbeaten in conference play. \nAll Big Ten schools have club volleyball teams except Penn State. \nIU will host the Hoosier Invitational Feb. 3, with a field of 16 schools expected to attend. Purdue, Michigan State and Western Michigan have already accepted invitations to play. Another Big Ten Qualifier tournament will be played Feb. 17 at IU.\nThe team plays all of its home games at the main gym in the Health, Physical Education and Recreation building. Other events to watch for this season are the Big Ten Championships at Northwestern April 6 and the National tournament in Kansas City from April 9-15. \nThe team will be traveling most of the semester, but can be seen at practices Tuesday and Thursday from 8-11 p.m. in the Health, Physical Education and Recreation building.\nBoos said anyone interested will be given a fair shot to participate on the team, either this season or next.\nLike many club sports at IU, the team promotes unity. Even before Boos arrived at Thursday's practice, the team arrived early to run and stretch.\nFreshman J.T. Gripe, a 1999 Amateur Athletic Union volleyball member and 2000 Indiana State Tournament M.V.P., joined the team because he said he has always been playing club volleyball.\n"I wanted to make sure I did something in college, and since I know some of the guys on the team ahead of time," Gripe said, "this was a perfect fit"