Author speaks on morality of capital punishment

Speaker raises questions, discusses his new book on death penalty

With President George W. Bush in office, some are concerned about the controversial issue of capital punishment. \nPsychologist and author Robert J. Lifton spoke Wednesday in the Indiana Memorial Union Whittenberger Auditorium about the death penalty. He spoke about his new book, "Who Owns Death: Capital Punishment," and the dangers and morality of capital punishment.\nHe began his talk with a joke, but the discussion that followed was far more serious.\nLifton discussed the execution experience from the vantage point of those with a direct role in it, the emotional tolls it takes on them, the family members of those who were wronged and the perpetrator's and victim's family members.\nLifton attempted to answer the question posed in the title of his book. He did not attempt to justify capital punishment during the course of his lecture. \nThe author referred to the death penalty as "man playing God." He also discussed the role of the prosecutors, jurors and judges. Lifton touched on the fact that many jurors feel they do not have the right to "play God" and decide someone's fate.\n"It is interesting to see how society, as well as the individuals surrounding, are affected by forced death," senior Eli Center said. \nLifton concluded with a statement to reinforce his point. \n"The death penalty corrupts everyone who takes part in it," he said. \nLawrence Friedman, a history professor, said he believed Lifton's lecture followed what he referred to as the "golden rule" -- or "what goes around comes around."\nProceeding the lecture, students were given the opportunity to participate in break-out sessions led by various department heads. Some of the sessions were, "Religious communities, religious individuals and the politics of capital punishment," "race and capital punishment" and other related topics. Each session focused on the prevalence of capital punishment in society. \nMany said they found the sessions to be beneficial because it gave them the opportunity to voice their various concerns about capital punishment.