All the Pretty Horses

The horses and the Rio Grande might be pretty; but the slow-as-molasses plot distracts the vision of "All the Pretty Horses." The film is adapted to the screen from Cormac McCarthy's novel set in the modern West and focuses on two young men in the years after World War II. John Grady Cole (Matt Damon) decides to leave Texas after his grandfather's death and the subsequent selling of his ranch. With Cole's dreams of living and working there shattered, he sets out for Mexico with his buddy Lacey Rawlins (Henry Thomas of "E.T." fame.) On their journey they encounter a teenager named Jimmy Blevins (Lucas Black) who is running from the law. After Blevins' horse and gun are stolen, they part ways and end up at the front door of a powerful ranch-owner. There, Cole falls madly in love with Alejandra (Penélope Cruz.)\n The film has all the trappings of a beautiful love story with the background of untamed countryside and rustic living. But Billy Bob Thornton's direction lacks a coherent plot to tie it all together. We have nothing to invest in the characters from the minute they are introduced. There is no development, which hinders the film. Not to mention the dialogue, which is choppy and misplaced. The story takes a back seat to the landscape, which is remarkable.\n The relationship between Damon's and Cruz's characters is contrived. After two glances at each other, the audience is supposed to believe they are madly in love and destined for trouble. The two actors seem as though they are in different films and have no chemistry. The only relationship in the film worth noting is that of Damon's and Thomas' characters. We are convinced they are old buddies who are young and free, exploring carefree youth. Although each character is not fully developed on his own, together their dynamic is believable.\n The message of the film is unclear. There are many allusions to the human spirit, forgiveness, the power of God and if he exists. But the film lacks a rhythm. Thornton is quite pretentious in his vision, and if he tried to make this a simple film, he just might have succeeded.