Worth the wait

Although it's been eight years since Sade's last album, the wait has been worth it. Lovers Rock showcases Sade's smooth melodic voice with lyrics that do have substance. Sade's songs mainly explain the feelings of love and passion. You can feel the passion in her voice. And even though many associate Sade with slow love songs, these songs can be appreciated by any music aficionado.

SaDe
Lovers Rock
Epic Records

A perfect example is the single "Flow." The beat is a bit faster, and Sade changes her tone and voice to keep up with the upbeat tempo. There is a reggae feel to the song, which is a departure from her usual work. The first released single, "By Your Side," is a classic love song about trust and patience. She sings, "You think I'd leave your side baby/You know me better than that." It is evident Sade has experienced her fair share of romantic tribulations. This is one of those albums that plays straight through. You can start listening to one song and forget it has ended and changed to the next. It is hard to think of anyone who sings like Sade better than Sade can. She has invented a sound that is distinctly hers. Her songs are raw and that is what makes them most inviting. She did not change her style at all during the eight-year hiatus. She is still surrounded by an aura of mystery, which plays through in her music. Her last album, Love Deluxe, featured known hits such as "Kiss of Life" and "No Ordinary Love," featured in the film "Indecent Proposal." The only problem with Sade is that her new music sounds all too familiar. But this can be seen as a good thing because Sade is a guaranteed good purchase. You know what you are buying before you enter the store. It is also interesting to note that Sade has included liner notes with her lyrics, which is quite uncommon these days. Possibly they are included because her lyrics are like poetry.