Too late to salvage season

Today signifies the end. \nOfficially, my words have lost all meaning. \nFrom here on out, IU football and my column will be tossed on the backburner. \nLet me be the first to sigh for relief and throw on a pair of candy cane striped pants because basketball has finally arrived.\nThe football season has been like watching a horrible movie. It just never seems to end. \nFor the last 10 weeks, IU has rewound "Speed 2" and "Mars Attack" and continually played them back for me. It has been the same old bad plot for the entire season.\nIU has been consistent in being inconsistent.\nIn Saturday's 43-22 loss to Wisconsin, the Hoosiers defense held the Badgers scoreless for the first 28 minutes and 45 seconds and forced a season high three turnovers.\nThen, IU's mask was removed, and Wisconsin realized it could exploit IU's inexperienced secondary as if the Badgers were the National Enquirer.\nBefore the Badgers' final first-half drive, Wisconsin completed four of seven passes for 25 yards. In all of 25 seconds, Badger freshman back-up quarterback Jim Sorgi completed four passes for 80 yards to give Wisconsin a 7-6 lead into halftime.\nFrom there on out, IU reverted to its old ways and allowed the Badgers to run away with the game. \nJust as every other game, the defense showed some progress, but then transformed into its split personality. The evil defense has prevailed and set IU's ship on a crash course with a 3-8 season. \nThe usually reliable offense was no help Saturday. For the third time this season, the offense scored under 25 points.\nJunior quarterback Antwaan Randle El once again was amazing on the run, as he picked up 156 yards on 24 carries. His passing game was not as outstanding.\nA number of 'Twaan's passing decisions were questionable, as he tied a career-high three interceptions and only completed 14-of-30 passes with no touchdowns. \nWhen IU is put into a situation where it is forced to throw, odds are against the Hoosiers.\nIn the Hoosiers' three victories this season, Randle El never once threw more than 22 passes. In the seven losses, he threw 25 times or more in five of the games.\nTo win Saturday, the Hoosiers' defense cannot allow Purdue's Drew Brees to clinch the Heisman Trophy with a monster passing day. IU cannot fall behind by much, so IU's offense can continue to run the option and not be forced to throw on nearly every down.\nThe repeated question asked at a recent IU football forum: Does a win against Purdue salvage the Hoosiers' season?\nMany of the Hoosier faithful have been brainwashed enough into the IU-Purdue rivalry to believe one win could compensate for IU's sixth consecutive losing season. A victory against Purdue in West Lafayette to prevent the Boilermakers from the Rose Bowl would be sweet, but fans need to be realistic.\nIs IU's inexperienced secondary any match for Brees? Even with a win, is 4-7 an improvement?\nThe answers are: probably not and nope. \nBut wait. Do you hear that?\nIt's in the background, but as the day becomes night, the sound will become noticeably clearer.\nSoon, the football season will be a distant memory as attention is turned to the beating sound of basketballs against hardwood and swishing nets.