Staples' policies under fire

Environmental groups protest nationwide

Several environmental action groups gathered in protest outside of the Bloomington Staples, 2813 E. Third St., Wednesday to end corporate purchasing policies that environmentalists charge are harmful to the planet.\nThere were more than 50 other protests at Staples stores across the country.\nTom Nutile, vice president of public relations for Staples, said he received a steady stream of calls all morning from protesters and reporters.\n"The Day of Action has arrived," he said, referring to the Coastal Rainforest Campaign's appellation for the protest movement.\nAlison Cochran, the director of Heartwood, a Bloomington-based environmental action group, said Wednesday's event was a "preliminary action intended to get a message out to the public."\nJoshua Martin, a graduate student, said there were two messages: Staples needs to carry more recycled paper products, and the company needs to stop purchasing wood products that have been manufactured from virgin forests.\n"We are out here to educate people," said Martin.\nNutile said the nationwide protest gave Staples the chance to educate the public as well.\n"This is our opportunity to let people know that we are addressing the issues," Nutile said. "We have already asked for and received confirmation from some of our suppliers that they do not harvest in virgin forests."\nNutile said Staples is investigating those suppliers who might still log in old growth areas. Nutile and his public relations department sent letters to all of their store managers, warning them about the protest.\nAt 11 a.m., an hour before the rally was scheduled to begin, managers were calm.\nA Bloomington police officer was on hand. He said a manager had called him to the store for "advice." But the officer was never asked to interact with the demonstrators.\n"Protesters have the right to do what they want so long as they don't restrict traffic or harass our customers," said James Clark, the store manager of the Bloomington Staples.\nJunior Sarah Uhlemann, the Student Environmental Action Coalition's coordinator, said the store managers were friendly. In an ironic gesture, one store employee even provided demonstrators with a Staples recycling bin for any waste material the event generated.\nProtesters stood outside of the store's only entrance and passed out fliers and leaflets and asked people to sign a petition.\nFreshman Mat Berghs carried a sign that read, "You are the consumer, you are the killer."\nOne customer screamed at protesters who asked her to sign a petition.\n"Go to hell," she said. "I don't want to have anything to do with you."\nBut the atmosphere outside of the store was as peaceful as it was inside, where soft music filled the air and customers chatted among themselves.\nRobin Larsen, one of several students from Harmony High School who joined the protest, talked to people as they walked into the store. He urged Joan Caulton, a Bloomington resident, to buy recycled paper.\n"If they sold it, I would buy it," Caulton said. "But I'm just buying highlighters today."\nAt 1:45 p.m. all but a few of the protesters had drifted off and Cochran declared the day a success.\n"We've met our goals," she said. "It was an excellent showing for a weekday, and I believe that Staples will get the message."\n"If they don't get the message, we'll be back," Martin said.\nCampaign demands for Staples\n• Immediately phase out all wood and paper products made from fiber from U.S. public lands.\n• Commit to achieving 50 percent post consumer content for all paper products within two years and begin an immediate phase-out of all products that are 100 percent virgin wood fiber.\n• Make available 100 percent post consumer paper and paper that is made from agricultural fiber available by allocating \npermanent shelf space and stocking it in all stores or other points of sale.\n• Educate all employees, customers and suppliers on the benefits of recycled paper, recycling, the availability of alternative fibers and the benefits of healthy forest resources.