Night of music to benefit charity

Liberal Arts and Management program provides support to help Middle Way House

The Liberal Arts and Management program will be a beacon of light for Middle Way House Saturday night. The students of BUS X333:, Managing Business Functions, are sponsoring six hours of disc jockeys, bands, music and dancing to raise money for the charity while earning college credit.\nTo be held from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. at Ground Zero, 213 N. Walnut St., Lighthouse is part of "Fortune and Glory," an outside project of Professor David Rubinstein's designed to bring the class together while donating money to a worthy cause.\nRubinstein's students have been brainstorming since September and started organizing the project in October. They made phone calls, designed and passed out fliers and worked around problems with security and liability.\nSenior Zachary May declared himself the "unspoken head" of the project, using his experience in organizing entertainment events to help the class.\n"(Working in a group) is going to make the event a lot better than it would be if just a few people planned," May said. He said the combined experience helped improve the event.\nThe group of about 25 students decided to have a dance party because of its appeal to college students. Ground Zero was chosen as the venue so dancers and music lovers under 21 could attend.\n"It just seemed like the easiest thing everyone could get excited about," said junior Aubrey Utterback. Utterback and fellow classmates were passing out fliers Wednesday at the Student Activities Desk in the Indiana Memorial Union.\nDJs will mix house, techno and jungle while bands will jam to jazz and alternative rock. The artist list includes: DJs Slater Hogan, Chocolate, Moses, Korova, Adam Langhoff and Neal Blues and bands Afronesis and The Debtors.\nStudents look for an expected turnout of 500-600 with a monetary collection of double that amount. A committee from the class chose the Middle Way House as the benefactor after researching other charities in the area and finding it the one most in need of money. \n"The ultimate reward from it all is seeing as much money as possible going to the Middle Way House," May said.\nLighthouse is Sat. from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. Tickets are $5. The show is for adults over 18.