Dancers set new record

Marathon raises $402,324 for Indy children's hospital

Although many students were still asleep at 8 a.m Sunday, about a thousand people were dancing, crying and cheering at the 10th annual Dance Marathon. \n"A Decade of Dance, A Lifetime of Hope," came to and end after a 10 second countdown to 8 a.m. in the gymnasium at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation. The Marathon's fund-raising committee announced that supporters raised $402,324.17 -- the largest amount ever for the event. The proceeds will go to Riley Hospital for Children of Indianapolis.\nSenior Brieanna Quinn, director of fund raising, said students spent the past year writing letters asking for donations and traveling to Indianapolis on weekends to solicit donations. But Quinn said the weekend was about college kids coming together for a common cause. \n"This event is not about the money we raise," Quinn said. "The marathon is not about the final minute. It's about the 35 hours and 59 minutes before that minute. We make sure every Riley kid is having an amazing time. The kids live for this weekend. Making the kids happy is our goal."\nMany Riley patients and families shared their stories the last hour of the marathon. Many audience members listened with tears in their eyes.\nRose Black, a mother of a Riley patient spoke before the countdown, thanking students for their hard work.\n"Now you all know what it's like to stay up with a child for 36 hours," Black said. "You are all blessed with things we take for granted. Don't be sorry for our families and children. We have you with us."\nSenior Alyssa Johnson, Dance Marathon president, said the students are amazing for sacrificing 36 hours to the cause. She said this was the first year they had too many people try to register for the event and had to close dancing registration.\n"We can only allow 700 dancers, and every year more and more students are interested -- it shows how selfless they are," Johnson said. "Every year, we are faced with the challenge of educating people about Riley and how important this event is to the families. Riley kids really look up to these college students."\nLindsey Andrews, 16, is one of those children.\nToday she is in remission for a rare bone cancer. She said every day since being diagnosed eight years ago she wanted to come to IU, major in nursing and work for Riley.\n"I love the atmosphere of this event and to know college kids aren't lazy and it shows they care," Andrews said. "We look up to them."\nThe event began at 8 p.m. Friday. Dancers ran around smiling and dancing. When the event came to an end 36 hours later, many were still motivated to keep dancing. \nJ. Ryan Williams, a senior and director of the Morale Committee, encouraged everyone to dance for the final five minutes. People gathered in groups, put their arms around each other and danced until the countdown.\nSophomore Jenny Bruffey hugged her friends after the countdown.\n"I am so excited and overwhelmed right now," Bruffey said. "It puts everything in perspective"