Cheney balances out ticket

Dick Cheney might have the birthday party of a lifetime next year. If all goes well on Election Day, Cheney can look forward to possibly celebrating his 60th birthday in the White House. George W. Bush's pick for vice-president will hit the 60-year mark Jan. 30, only 10 days after the Presidential inauguration. Pretty exciting stuff for a kid from Casper, Wyo. Cheney spent most of his childhood in the pioneer-founded city (which, at a population of 49,000, is the second-largest city in Wyoming), although he was born in Lincoln, Neb. In Casper Cheney met Lynne Ann Vincent, who became his high school sweetheart and later his wife. Cheney received both his bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Wyoming. According to his Web site, http://www.georgewbush.com, in 1969 Cheney joined the Nixon administration. Cheney remained active in politics after Nixon resigned in 1974 and in November 1975 President Ford named him chief of staff. He returned to Wyoming in 1977 and the people there elected Cheney as the state's only Congressman. Cheney is most well known, however, for his role as secretary of defense under President George Bush during the Gulf War years. Texas Gov. George W. Bush named Cheney his running mate July 25, ending months of speculation and eliminating the many other names that had been suggested for the position. Analysts said Cheney was a safe choice for Bush, who has been criticized for lack of experience in foreign affairs. In the vice-presidential debate Oct. 25, Cheney complimented his boss by saying, "I think it's very important that we have a president with firm leadership who has the kind of track record of dealing straight with people." Josh Claybourn, IU College Republicans events director, reflected on Cheney's nomination following a four-way campus debate Wednesday evening. "I think Bush, like all candidates, chose someone who could cover his weaknesses," Claybourn said. "But I think Cheney has a firm grasp on domestic issues as well. He would make a very capable President if something should ever happen to Bush." During his 10 years as a Representative, his Republican colleagues say, Cheney continually upheld conservative ideology of smaller government, a strong military, and tax cuts for all. Cheney's Democratic opponents view this conservative consistency as excessively partisan. According to the PBS Web site, soon after Bush announced his selection, syndicated columnist Mark Shields discussed the issue with PBS news reporter Jim Lehrer, who would later serve as moderator for the Presidential debates. Shields said Democrats in Congress commented to him that Cheney is "a total gentleman, always listened to the other side, totally civil, but a fierce partisan." He defended his record by saying that, as a Republican, he supports limited international involvement and a reduction in federal regulation. Throughout the campaign Cheney has echoed Bush's message of reform: reform of public schools, reform of social security, reform of health care. In the vice-presidential debate, Cheney said that regarding each of the three issues "we've had eight years of talk and no action."