Cameron should move on

Maybe Cam Cameron was not born to be a college head coach.\n Maybe his failure at IU was pre-destined by a higher power.\n Maybe it's time to chalk his IU days up as a loss and walk away.\n Maybe Cam should head back to where he belongs -- the NFL.\n There has been a rumor in Detroit that Cameron might be a candidate for the Lions' offensive coordinator position. Detroit head coach Gary Moeller, who was hired mid-season, and Cameron do have University of Michigan ties.\nFrom 1986-89, Moeller was the Wolverines' offensive coordinator and Cameron coached quarterbacks and wide receivers. In 1990, Moeller became Michigan's head coach and Cameron spent four years with Moeller as an offensive assistant before leaving to become the Washington Redskins quarterback coach.\nIf the rumor is true, Cameron should go for the job. \nCameron could stay and try one to bring IU's football program to respectability. But why deal with another year of aggravations?\nHis offense will surely be near the top of the nation again, but then there's the defense. The defense has been Cameron's Achilles heel for the last four years. He has some defensive talent, but there is no promise things will improve next year. \nCameron is an offensive man. He can close his eyes and put together plays that put points on the board all day. Cameron has called all the offensive plays this season and rarely has anyone disagreed.\nHe belongs in the NFL as an offensive coordinator. The position would give him job security and allow him to concentrate just on the offensive side of the ball. \nNow, he has to worry about winning games, recruiting, offense, defense, special teams, packing the stands and press conferences, among other things. \nNext season, Cameron will have more than me and a few disgruntled fans criticizing him if IU doen't win. A new athletic director would probably not blink at firing Cameron.\nIt will take a savior to turn IU's football program around and Cameron might not be that person. That person might not exist. The fate of Hoosier football might be just what it is now. \nSaturday's game should be Cameron's last, but there will be no "win for the Gipper" speech. Cameron has the mentality of no matter where IU's program goes, he's in it for the long haul. He's a competitor and enjoys coaching at IU, so he's going to continue doing it.\nI don't want Cameron to go because I dislike him or think it's in the best interest of IU, but rather it's in his best interest. \nHe was born to be an NFL offensive coordinator.