Wells started many great traditions

A new Indiana University tradition began Saturday. The tradition honors the enduring legacy of a man who has done so much for IU and for many people who have never passed through the Sample Gates. He was a regular at Assembly Hall, but not as coach. He frequented the Musical Arts Center, yet had a personal fondness for marching band and the MAC's unnamed benefactor, Hoagy Carmichael. \nWhen you venture to Showalter Fountain, whether for respite or in protest, think of him. When your eyes catch an architectural detail of Woodburn or the Student Building or the stone wall around Jordan, think of him. As your feet shuffle through the autumn leaves, think of him. While you study German or an eastern European language, think of him. When you are waitlisted for a human sexuality course, think of him. When you use the computers in the reference area of the undergraduate library, say thanks to Bob Knight, and say a blessing for the man who envisioned the building that houses those computers and raised funds for the millions of books stored within its walls and other campus libraries, including the Lilly Library. \nWhen you play pick-up basketball in the HPER, thank trustee Ora Wildermuth for talking this man into a temporary job he never really left. As you shoot hoops, imagine the scene in that fieldhouse in 1938 when he was inaugurated. \nThe man arrived in Bloomington in 1921 and stayed until his death last March. Yet he is still here with us. Take part in the new IU tradition -- walk by the Old Crescent, take a drink from the Well House, then shake the bronze hand of Herman B Wells. Sit beside him, thank him for all he did for the glory of old IU and tell him your dreams.\nPat Buchanan\nGraduate student