Union to host 68 law schools

Law Day provides closer look

One-third of America's law schools will be participating in this year's Law Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today in the Indiana Memorial Union's Frangipani Room. \nThe informal gathering will give students a chance to meet with representatives from 68 law schools around the country.\nJohn Simpson, director of Health Professions and the Prelaw Information Center, said IU is the only Hoosier university besides Notre Dame to give students an opportunity such as this on a large scale.\n"It's a no-cost way to talk to experts, which is an opportunity that not all students have," Simpson said.\nSenior Jennifer LoGiudice said she attended last year's Law Day and is planning on going back this year. She said it was informative and helpful.\n"It's impossible to go visit all of the law schools," LoGuidice said. "All of the schools I'm planning on applying to are going to be here."\nMac Francis, a prelaw adviser, said students are often familiar with about 10 law schools, and Law Day offers an opportunity to learn more about other schools they might not know much about.\n"There are so many great schools coming," Francis said. "Law Day exposes students to a wide range of schools."\nSimpson said Law Day has been successful before.\n"Students love it. They can finally put a face with a school," Simpson said. "It helps them learn more about the school."\nFrancis said finding a school that's comfortable is important in selecting a law school. \n"Law school can be very intense, and if you are going to be uncomfortable then it will make it that much harder," Francis said.\nA panel discussion at 9 a.m. today in the IMU State Room will feature deans of admission from law schools at George Washington University, Loyola University Chicago, Michigan and IU. Francis said they will talk about what they look for in law school applications and then take questions from the audience.\nFrancis said students should be able to get a good feel for where they might want to go after college after the panel discussion and meeting the representatives.\n"Students come out very encouraged," Francis said. "They realize that schools look for more than just good grades and a high LSAT score. Schools want an accurate picture of the applicant"