Religious policy aims for fairness

Last year IU adopted a new policy to handle student complaints of religious discrimination. This new policy, backed by federal law, states "that instructors must reasonably accommodate students who want to observe their religious holidays at times when academic requirements conflict with those observances."\nIn other words, professors must make allowances for students of any faith who must miss class or are unable to complete an assignment because of legitimate religious holidays.\nIn the past, the University has received a number of student complaints charging professors with discrimination. This is the reason why the Bloomington Faculty Council initiated the new University-wide policy, said Paul Eisenberg, a professor of Philosophy and chairperson of the affirmative action committee for the BFC.\n"Students felt a sense of prejudice, whether it was intentional or unintentional," Eisenberg said. "(The BFC) found it necessary to establish a set of rules to guide professors in dealing with this issue."\nThese guidelines, which will not be fully effective until Fall 2001, establish both an overall policy and a set of procedures for students to request special accommodations. \nThe dean of the faculties office is responsible for preparing a list of dates for major religious holidays as specified by the recommendations of the leaders of local religious communities. Students of faiths not represented by these recommendations can also request accommodation for other holidays. After these dates have been set, professors are required to schedule their curriculum to avoid conflicts. \nErin Moran, a senior, is director of Student Rights for the IU Student Association. The IUSA Student Rights committee acts as a liaison between students and the University and has heard many complaints about this issue in the past.\n"But so far this year, we haven't received a single complaint," Moran said. "Unfortunately, that may have less to do with the new University policy than the fact that we are just now entering some major holy seasons."\nPhilip Ohriner, a junior and president of the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center, agreed that the policy has not yet proven itself. He said Hillel normally receives up to 50 formal complaints a year from Jewish students who want accommodations for holidays.\n"I'm confident that the policy will improve our relations with faculty," Ohriner said. "But that policy won't be fully realized until next year. We haven't had any complaints yet, but Yom Kippur, one of the major Jewish holidays, is on Monday (Oct. 9). I wouldn't be surprised if we received some phone calls next week."\nIf conflicts between student and instructor interests persist, students can discuss the matter with the relevant professor. If either party is dissatisfied with the results of this dialogue, the individual can contact Associate Dean of Faculties Kim Walker at 855-0230. Students can also call the IUSA Student Rights office at 856-4188. The new University policy is on the Web at www.indiana.edu/~bfc/BFC/circulars/99-00/B22-2000.htm.