Perry argues medical issues

Candidate speaks to 3 dozen students on campaign issues

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat agreed to end the violence that has plagued the Middle East for the last two weeks.\nWhile a lasting peace is still uncertain, Paul Perry, Democratic challenger for the 8th district congressional seat, said the United States should support Israel.\n"When Israel decides to make decisions about her security and safety, we should be doing what we can," he said. "Our role is to provide military and financial assistance."\nPerry addressed peace in the Middle East, as well as other Election 2000 issues before a crowd of about three dozen students Tuesday night. Co-sponsored by the Hillel Foundation, College Democrats and the Indiana Israel Public Afffairs Committee, the talk lasted one hour in the Sassafras Room of the Indiana Memorial Union.\nPerry is running for his first political office against Rep. John Hostettler, R-8th, a congressman for five years. Perry began the discussion with an introduction explaining why he has decided to run for Congress in one of the most contested districts in the country. The district that encompasses Bloomington is known as the "Bloody Eighth." He said as a physician for more than a decade, he's seen the quality of care diminish and wants to help change that. Perry said health care issues, ranging from patients' rights to prescription drugs are his major issues.\n"We really let doctor-patient relationships slip away," he told the crowded room.\nThough a patient's right bill is one of his biggest motivations behind running for his first political seat, he also said other issues keep him campaigning.\nPerry lectured on the topic of education as his first nonhealth related issue. He said he supports legislation to help move students forward such as Head Start programs, school nutrition programs, student access to healthcare and called for leadership in primary and secondary education among legislators.\n"There's a lot of leadership we can exert in Congress," he said.\nBefore the overwhelmingly college-aged crowd, Perry also called for government-backed college loans and said loans helped his own education.\n"If it hadn't been for that, I wouldn't be a doctor," he said. "I agree with the vice president who wants to offer tax breaks for students."\nPerry also addressed other campaign issues including violence in schools, gun control, affirmative action and the highly controversial abortion pill RU486. \nIn regards to abortion, Perry, a father of five, made his stance clear. \n"I'm a physician, and I'm sworn to protect life," he said. "(What concerns me) is the safety of the pill. I'm not in support of federal taxes dispersing the medicine."\nWhen asked about violence in schools and the media's role in it as well as gun control, Perry addressed the issues separately.\nIn regards to violence in the media, Perry said he supports reducing the violence kids see on television. \n"As a parent, the role of the parent is to monitor the child," he said. "I would like to see something done with violence in the media." \nHe also added, "I wish the industry would impose (standards) on themselves. High schools have grown violent. I think there's been a tremendous problem of kids getting lost. One of the things we can do is reduce class sizes and get more teachers in classrooms."\nGun control, Perry said, is in the Bill of Rights and emphasized that law-abiding citizens should be allowed to carry guns. He said additional laws only affect the already law-abiding citizens. \n"The focus should be on people not abiding," he said.\nFor affirmative action, Perry called for going back to the beginning of one's education.\n"I support affirmative action, but I don't support quotas," he said. "I think that's inherently unfair. The basic problem is at the beginning."\nSophomore Jamie Honigman, who also helped plan the event for IIPAC -- a bi-partisan committee, said the committee did what it set out to do -- inform voters. Later this month, they will host Hostettler, Perry's opponent.\n"We wanted to be able to bring people here so everyone can come together to see Perry and see how important what is going in the Middle East is," she said.\n"Hopefully, when election day comes, everyone will vote accordingly. They've heard everything. A lot of people are misinformed about what's going on."\nIU College Democrats Secretary April Gonzales, a sophomore, added Perry kept on track with issues pertinent to his constituents.\n"I just think he's a phenomenal speaker," she said. "He stays on target with the issues."\nSenior Jennifer Steiman, chairperson for IIPAC, said the lecture was the group's way of helping their counterparts in the Middle East.\n"I think it's important for people to know who they are voting for," she said. "That's our way of helping Israel by making sure the right people are in office"