Pearl Jam live albums capture atmosphere of concerts

On what is a first for the music industry, mega-rockers Pearl Jam released 25 live albums on the same day, chronicling every show from its summer European tour, except for the tragic show at Roskilde, where nine people were killed in the crush of the crowd. While not expected to be major sellers, the band planned the release to combat massive bootlegging of poor quality recordings.

Pearl Jam
Manchester England & Hamburg Germany
Epic Records

The albums are not meant to be a "best of" live CD like 1998's Live on Two Legs but merely to chronicle the experience of each show. Taking the plunge, this reviewer scoured setlists and purchased the Manchester, England, and Hamburg, Germany, shows, as they represent an early and late show of the tour. If these two shows are any representation of the other 23, any show purchased will be money well spent. Both shows have the standard hits, like "Betterman," "Corduroy" and "Even Flow," all songs readily available on Live on Two Legs. The true heart of these, and any show, is in the rarely played gems. Manchester\'s setlist has an upbeat cover of the hometown La's "Timeless Melody" and a bluesy, gentle performance of b-side "Footsteps." The Hamburg show checks in with a hard-hitting emotional "Smile" and a truly rocking take on the Who's "Baba O'Riley." Granted, because no show is cut, the listener has to take the good with the bad. Manchester's "Wishlist" is marred by lead singer Eddie Vedder's mumbled forgotten lyrics, and Hamburg features a somewhat lackluster "Daughter." But no band is perfect, and the flubs only serve to accentuate the reality of the show. Dimming the lights and cranking the stereo, it's easy for one to imagine they're actually at a Pearl Jam concert. The atmosphere and character of a full show is what makes one or many of these shows an essential for any Pearl Jam fan, casual or not. As for what show to pick out of 25, take the time and scan the setlists of each show, looking for your favorite songs. Or wait for the planned release of the band's U.S. tour early next year and pick up that show your buddy was raving about. Remember, variety is the spice of life.