Momentum grows as crew team rows

Second year sport makes strides, earns victories

The crew team added another strong performance to the list of fall accomplishments at the third annual Lemonhead Regatta Saturday afternoon at Lake Lemon in Bloomington.\nThe big win of the day came from the Indiana A eight team, which defeated two Cincinnati boats in the varsity race. The win came by a margin of 40 seconds over the second place Cincinnati boat. In the race, the Indiana squad avenged a loss to Marquette, which came a week earlier in Rockford, Ill. \nJunior Beth Lund is very encourage by this weekend's performance.\n"Our team really came together this weekend," Lund said. "And we are hoping to continue our success."\nThe team dominated the women's open four competition. \nIn this race the Indiana boat, comprised of freshmen Emily Coblentz and Meg Gallagher, senior co-captain Katy Ostertag, Lund and freshman coxswain Carmen Blissit, finished five seconds in front of the Indiana B team, with a time of 18:31. \nOstertag said racing at home was a factor in the win.\n"It was great to row on our own lake, because we know the course so well," Ostertag said. "Knowing the course made the rowing a thousand times easier."\nIndiana proved it has young strength on the team. In the novice eight race, the Indiana A team earned a first place finish in a time of 18:41, nine seconds in front of the Minnesota A and B teams, which tied for second. The women's novice four race was won by Marquette, while Indiana A and B finished second and third respectively. \nCoach Mark Wilson said success in the novice races is important.\n"I think our freshmen and sophomores are the key to our program," Wilson said. "With the strong novice teams last year and this year, our future looks very bright."\nIn the women's two race, freshmen Molly Fetzer and Kelly Krise crossed the finish line first for Indiana in 23:19, and they were followed by another IU team. \nWilson won the men's single race by 52 seconds over the nearest competitor. Before becoming IU's coach, Wilson secured numerous rowing accomplishments. He was an elite gold medalist in the World University Games in 1993 and also was in the finals of the 1992 men's double Olympic Trials.\nIU hopes to carry some momentum from the Regatta to the Head of the Eagle race this weekend in Indianapolis, a race held by the Indianapolis Rowing Center. \nWilson said next week's race will be a good tuneup for the Head of the Elk race Oct. 27. \n"Head of the Elk is the biggest race of the fall season," Wilson said. "With teams like Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame, it's a big race for Midwestern rowing"