Minority voters key for both parties in elections, experts say

Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore picked Joe Lieberman, an orthodox Jew from Connecticut, to be his running mate. \nLieberman is the first Jewish-American to be chosen for the second highest seat in the White House. The Republican Party is also reaching out ' some say more than ever ' to minorities, especially to Hispanics, who are a visible force in the 2000 elections.\nSome minority organization leaders say making minorities a part of the campaign is becoming more acceptable, and political experts are calling it smart politics.\nScott Gunderson Rosa, director of communications at the League of United Latin American Citizens, said the growing number of registered Hispanic voters is part of the reason political pundits say they will be an important part of the election. According to the Census Bureau, Hispanics are the fastest growing minority in the country. \nRosa said the 2000 election could bring in 7.5 million voters, up from 5 million in the 1996 election.\n"It's a critical part of the elections," he said. "The Latino community has grown exponentially. They have to start reaching out to Hispanics in order to develop that base and make sure it's going to be there this election."\nCampaigning last week in his home state of Texas, Bush proposed increasing federal aid to historically black colleges and colleges with high numbers of Hispanic students by more than $600 million over five years. Also campaigning at historically black Dillard University in New Orleans he told The Associated Press, "All Americans must have the full opportunity to benefit from our public colleges and universities."\nBush also promises aid to "Hispanic-serving" institutions, higher education institutions with a Hispanic student body of more than 25 percent. He said Hispanic colleges and universities that work with elementary and high schools to reduce dropout rates and increase college enrollments would receive priority aid. \n"There's a misrepresentation, too, that Latino issues are different from American issues. The biggest problem facing Latinos is education. We have the highest dropout rate."\nHilary Shelton, lobbyist and director of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's Washington Bureau said African Americans have tended to vote for Democrats for the past three decades because the Democratic Party supported their issues. \n"The Democratic Party seems to be doing a better job of listening," he said. "We will go with those that support our agenda."\nYvette M. Alex-Assensoh, assistant professor of political science, monitors urban and minority politics and is co-editor of "Black and Multi-Cultural Politics in America," a book on minorities and politics. She said minority voters help in the final outcome, especially in larger states like California, Texas, New York and Florida. \n"That is why presidential candidates always try to appeal to various minority groups, ranging from gender, sexual to racial minorities," she said. "In the 21st Century, it is especially important to remember that the term minority is very broad, as it includes women, blacks, gays, lesbians, Jews, Native Americans, Asians and Latinos." \nProfessor of history and Jewish Studies Irving Katz, who gave a lecture last year titled, "Will there ever be a Jewish President," said picking a minority as vice president doesn't hurt ' or help. \n"It's the President who signs the bill. People vote for the President, not the Vice President. Most Jews will vote for Gore," he said. "Jews are going to say, 'We've arrived where political nominees feel they aren't ruining their chances of winning.' A lot has changed this last year in that sense." \nMeanwhile, Rosa is cautiously optimistic about the campaign promises each candidate makes. \nHe said the attention Hispanics are receiving is encouraging but that candidates have to follow through with their promises to secure loyalty.\n"Hopefully, if it's not genuine, it will become more genuine and not a stage show," he said. "Bush has done things that may generate more votes, but I think the base for minorities to vote Democratic will still be there. Politicians have to start passing legislation that will help our minorities. That's what'll get them the votes."\nThe Associated Press contributed to this report.