Milosevic should have no role

During his 12-year iron grip on the country, former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic seemed invincible. But it turns out the emperor has no clothes.\nOpposition candidate Vojislav Kostunica trounced him, winning by 11 points in what was surely a rigged election against him. But Milosevic tried to hold onto power as long as he could, calling for a run-off.\nAs we all know, the people did not take kindly to this, striking and taking to the streets in protest. Although the police and paramilitary forces stayed loyal, democracy prevailed. Milosevic ended up backing down.\nStill, he says he wants to keep active in politics, heading up his party.\nOf course, this is absurd, assuming his Socialist Party doesn't ditch him for political expediency.\nAs the election clearly mandates, Milosevic has no part in Yugoslavia's future.\nHis campaign of genocide against ethnic Albanians resulted in a NATO bombing that debilitated the country. Hospitals, factories and residential buildings still lie in ruin. And the NATO-imposed sanctions have made it impossible for the country to get back on its feet. There wasn't enough heating gas for many families to make it through the harsh Eastern European winter, and the economy is stuck in neutral.\nBeside the most recent incident, Milosevic's reign has been a rocky one, sullied with blood. Responsibility rests on his shoulders for the wars in Croatia and Bosnia as well. Milosevic stands on a pedestal amid so much decay.\nAfter 12 years of rule, he's had ample chances to make good. When a relative unknown pitted against a deeply entrenched incumbent is swept into power, it sends a clear signal -- the people have had enough.\nBeyond the issue of democracy, Milosevic has no rightful future at all, in politics or elsewhere. To mobilize nationalist sentiment to his political advantage, he embarked on a campaign of genocidal atrocity in Kosovo.\nCasualties on both sides mounted in the long-simmering region, and tens of thousands were driven from their homes by ruthless paramilitary forces. The refugees who watched their villages burn, the innocent civilians who were massacred and the women who were raped all stand testimony to Milosevic's legacy.\nThe United Nations War Crimes Tribunal has indicted Milosevic, and it's time he saw his day in court. Milosevic has blood on his hands, and it's time justice is served.