Low faculty morale needs attention

Another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust.\nIn five years, five chemistry professors have left IU for other universities. And the most recent departure is evidence professors are leaving because of the academic erosion of this University. \nProfessor George Christou didn't say he left because of what the University of Florida rankings reported or the rankings of U.S. News and World Report. No, Christou said he left because he didn't feel support from the higher administration, the IDS reported Oct. 19. Coupled with the departure of other senior faculty, some faculty members told the IDS the department is demoralized.\nThe chair of the department, Ernest R. Davidson, said the chemistry department has not replaced any of the faculty that have left in the last five years. And as faculty leave on a regular basis and IU slips in the rankings, it becomes harder and harder to recruit the best and brightest students to this campus.\nThis situation exemplifies the fading morale of the IU faculty. Christou is a young and aspiring professor, the very kind the University should be trying to recruit. With bright and promising professors leaving the University, what motivation is there to start a career here, as a student or as a young professor?\nChristou told the IDS he felt nostalgic about IU and was sorry to leave. But after evaluating his career interests, he felt he had to go. This time, the University couldn't count on a history of achievement and tradition to retain faculty, and it won't be able to count on it in the future, either. In time, the now strained academic environment will outweigh considerations of the University's successful past.\nThe administration should acknowledge there is a problem retaining and recruiting the best faculty and work toward correcting it. Instead of defending itself and discrediting the rankings, the administration should use these recent problems as inspiration to work harder than ever to satisfy the faculty.\nHerman B Wells was long recognized for his relentless work at building this University with the best and brightest faculty. It worked for him for many years, and there is no reason to change that ethic now. It is, in fact, obvious the professors make this University successful.\nMaybe the administration should take the time to meet personally with professors to demonstrate its interest in correcting the problem. Right now, it is apparent professors don't feel the administration is working with them, or for them -- and as Christou demonstrated, they are demoralized.