Libertarians meet to explain ideas

At the IU Libertarians meeting Monday night, graduate student Erin Hollinden explained why voters might want to turn from the Democratic and Republican parties and vote Libertarian. She said voting Libertarian means voting with conscience, common sense and with the Constitution.\nHollinden, president of IU Libertarians and chair of the Libertarian party of Monroe County, urged students to look beyond the Republican and Democratic parties for leadership in the 21st century. The 2000 Libertarian presidential candidate is Harry Browne.\nNoting that critics have described this year's Presidential race as a choice between two evils, Hollinden said, "Voting for one of two evils is still evil."\nAbout 25 people attended the introductory meeting. Although the Monroe County Libertarian party has been around for several years, an IU-specific Libertarian group has existed only on an off-and-on basis, largely dependent upon graduation of its leaders. Freshman Leanne Dodge is coordinating this new group.\nThe meeting introduced students to Libertarian ideas, which center around personal and economic liberties. The Libertarian platform supports free trade, private rather than government control of property, repeal of drug laws and elimination of social security.\nThe main idea behind this third party's philosophy is that the United states will manage itself best when individuals are left to make all their own decisions. According to an official national Libertarian party pamphlet, "Government's only role is to help individuals defend themselves from force and fraud."\nJunior Adrian Bisson said an example is how Libertarians treat environmental questions. He said individuals treat their own property better than they treat public property, so federally-held lands should be sold as private property. "You don't go out and throw garbage on your own lawn," he said. "But national parks and forests are some of the most polluted places in the country."\nDodge said she wants to focus her efforts on informing students about this and other libertarian issues, rather than on electing candidates this year. The first mass meeting of IU Libertarians will not be until after the Nov. 7 elections.\n"What Erin is doing for the party in Monroe County (in terms of educating voters), we want to do here," she said.\nDodge said she found the party on her own by word-of-mouth and through Internet sites. The emphasis on private interests most attracted her to libertarianism.\n"I realized that some of the (two major parties') platforms are somewhat contradictory," she said. "For example, Republicans advocate small government, but not individual freedoms, and vice-versa for the Democrats."\nDodge, a 2000 graduate of Bloomington High School South, said she decided to coordinate a student Libertarian group because she "wanted to see an avenue for people to learn on campus." Dodge contacted Hollinden, who gave full support, and IU Libertarians was born.\nThe reactions to her new political effort have been mixed. In trying to tell others a little of what libertarianism is all about, Dodge said, "I get some people who laugh and think I'm insane and others who realize there's some truth in my ideas."\nBut Dodge said she's optimistic about the party's future on campus. Tired of relying on only two options in government, Dodge will vote for Libertarian candidates with whom she honestly agrees and said she thinks that after others hear about the common-sense policies of Libertarians, they'll do the same.\nTo other student voters, Dodge advises, "Vote for the candidate in November who best represents your views, whether it's the popular candidate or not"