Latin ska band eclectic

\"Rude boy thing with a Latino style" makes a champion sound, according to Latin ska band King Changó. Its self-description pinpoints the strength of ska super-fusion on The Return of El Santo. The mostly Spanish language album uses elements from ska, banda, drum 'n' bass and electronica, along with other Caribbean and Spanish influences.

King Changó
The Return of El Santo
Luaka Bop

Calling this an eclectic mix might be an understatement because this disc would probably take an ethnomusicologist to decipher all of the influences. Changó reminds common listeners of 311's better days or Reel Big Fish, and more adventurous music lovers of Molotov, a Spanish language Rage Against the Machine. Although the language is often in Spanish, this is American music. "Finalmente" starts the disc with Afro-Cuban drumming followed by a torrent of ska melodies, steel drums and record scratches. The song is about their grand return, even going so far to say, "Esto es un milagro," or "this is a miracle." Next, accordion flows stroll through "El Santo" which is like a twisted Northern Mexican folk song tinged with punk. Seductive drum 'n' bass carries "Tu Veras." Later, the English lyrics of "What Politicians Say" incites the response, "I don't give a damn." The phrase probably describes the band's attitude toward commercial music, because its liberated style would have a difficult time finding radio airplay. After five more strongly sculpted songs, Changó ends the disc with industrial "wah wah" funk on "Step Me Down" and the "rude boy" styling of the dancehall-esque "Champion Sound". Hybridization is common in Caribbean music, and El Santo reflects that with the combination of styles that override language barriers, keeping the set unified. El Santo is an audio menagerie that kneads a surprising array of western music styles together. It might be the result of the group's New York City roots and its recording label, Luaka Bop, who produces many non-traditional sounds. These sounds will influence those who will begin the next wave of music. Are people willing to embrace Latin rock like they have worshiped Ricky Martin? Maybe not, but this is what the next innovative musicians are listening to now.