'Ladies Man' soundtrack smooth

It's basically a given that there is little good to be had out of any movie starring a "Saturday Night Live" character made famous through short skits on the aforementioned television show. "Ladies Man," starring Tim Meadows as Leon Phelps, might or might not break that mold.

Various Artists
"The Ladies Man" soundtrack
Dreamworks

It is great to know that at least the producers of the movie's soundtrack know what they are doing. The Ladies Man serves up an album full of smooth mellow R&B perfect for a night of relaxation, a slow dance or other activities better left to the imagination. Most of the songs date back to the early to mid '70s. The fact that they sound their age is a good thing. It's the kind of music you see on infomercials as part of those expensive Time Life boxed sets; you know, the stuff that you wish you had in your CD collection but can't reconcile paying four $30 installments for it. This soundtrack provides all the enjoyment at a fraction of the price. Listening to artists such as Chaka Khan and Roberta Flack might conjure up feelings of a descent into an adult contemporary nightmare, but after getting past that snobbery it's great to hear two women with strong voices not being overpowered by thumping hip-hop or overshadowed with nonexistent costumes. And how can one not appreciate the Isley Brother's cover of "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight," a version possessing far more soul and longing than the James Taylor version? Also included is the Isley Brother's version of "That Lady," which sounds just as good when it's not being used in a commercial. Best of all, the producers included Al Green's "Let's Stay Together:" great lyrics, great singer, wonderful recording. The producers should have just lost the instrumentals and the one or two songs written specifically for the movie (including a song by Johnny Gill that actually does feel dated to the point of tackiness). Then there would have been even more room to include songs for those of us who don't have the money or desire to buy CDs by artists just to get one or two classic songs. Still,The Ladies Man does a decent job of performing this community service and holds up as an above average soundtrack album.